Home Security Cameras - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-26-2014, 06:53 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Home security cameras

Hey folks! I'm looking to buy a small home security system(2-3 day/night vision cameras) that will record on DVR via motion sensor, view live from my living room TV via the input button, and possibly view from my IPhone. Here's the kicker.... The cameras will be set up about 300' from my home. I will run power down there, but not sure about the video cable run. The goal is to watch for poachers as to also keep an eye on what size my whitetail deer herd is going to be this year. Can anyone point me in the direction of a system I need? Thank you!
Queefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2014, 06:55 AM   #2

And before anyone says "just buy a couple of game cameras"... No thank you. I've already done that and looking to upgrade. Would like to be able to click the input button on my TV and see what exactly is at my corn feeders.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2014, 07:39 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 320

I've installed 10 exterior IP cameras at my shop, which uses POE on cat 6. Longest run of cable is 325', but all the cable is inside, except for the camera leads. No problems.
47_47 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 47_47 For This Useful Post:
Queefer (03-26-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2014, 07:48 AM   #4

Thank you for the reply. So did the system you buy come with the cameras ready for Cat6? The setup I've seen at Lowes looks to be a video cable type deal and only comes with about 100 feet or so I think.
Old 03-26-2014, 08:35 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 320

This set-up is for a business.

Not an ad, but cameras are Optica B204M and D204M and are part of a package I had built. I went with this system, because of ease of use and installation. This was not cheap, but it fits my needs.

I looked at one system and you needed to run cat cable from the camera to a powered relay, the signal was sent out RG6 to another relay and then to your network switch. Advantage was you could send the signal up to 1,000 feet on the RG6, disadvantage, the relay had to be located within ~50 feet of the camera and the relay needed to be powered. Each relay could handle up to 4 cameras. This system was less expensive, but more labor on my part. I didn't go any further on research on the actual camera use, monitoring... of this system, but this may work for you.

Get out of the box stores. There are many IP / POE surveillance camera systems available on line.
47_47 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 47_47 For This Useful Post:
Queefer (03-26-2014)
Old 03-26-2014, 10:01 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 7,318

Running normal composite video over large distances will be problematic !
You will still get a picture but the clarity of said picture could well be poor
due to losses in high frequency detail.
Using cat 5 would be a better option,
But even here some degradation is expected.
even better would be completely wireless transmission of video signal.

What sort of results do you want ?
I mean in relation to picture quality vs cost ?
dmxtothemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 06:47 AM   #7

The quality doesn't have to be perfect by any means. It seems to me that wireless would me more problematic with less quality over such a distance. I'd like to keep my costs fairly low since this isn't actually for security, but for viewing enjoyment. Lol
Old 03-27-2014, 07:09 AM   #8
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 516

like this ??

http://www.lorextechnology.com/Outdo...FeMSOgodlyUAbw
Old 03-27-2014, 07:19 AM   #9

http://bit.ly/1900f1q

I was thinking more like this.
Old 03-27-2014, 07:20 AM   #10
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 516

LOL too much work my idea is wireless .... and 365 feet
Old 03-27-2014, 09:02 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 528
Send a message via AIM to theatretch85

RG-59 Coax runs can be well over 1000' there are many places in the corporate environment where cameras are a long distance away from the security room.

A POE IP camera will need to be within 300' of the powered switch or POE injector and it sounds like you may be at that distance or longer just from your house. IP cameras also would not be directly viewable on your TV with out the use of a computer to view the video feed or recordings.

If you go the coax route, make sure the coax cable is outdoor rated and I would suggest running it inside some PVC conduit the entire distance from the house to camera. I would recommend a larger conduit from the house to a j-box near the cameras and split off there, this is also where you could split your power feed.

If you find that the cost of the coax is too high, you could invest in a couple video baluns that use twisted pair wire (cat 5/6) to transmit video and you could theoretically use one cat 5/6 cable and 4 pairs of baluns for 4 cameras. The cat 5 cable should still be outdoor rated, but that can sometimes be hard to find in your big box store since its not very common.

At that distance, if you have your power supply at the house you'll probably want to up-size the low voltage power conductors a little bit, at least until you get to a point where you can split it off to the cameras. 18 gauge is normal for single cameras, might want to go to 14 gauge until the split point and then you could drop back down to 18.

I too have had issues with wireless transmissions and not being very reliable, they work but usually not to the distances advertised. Plus you'd still need to power them somehow, so unless you want to keep swapping batteries, you'd need wire which at that point you might as well make them wired cameras.
theatretch85 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to theatretch85 For This Useful Post:
Queefer (03-27-2014)
Old 03-27-2014, 01:33 PM   #12
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek

Rewards Points: 3,590

Wireless IP webcams are an easy solution. Or install a wired camera system with the DVR out in the woods, and use a wifi bridge to connect it to your network for viewing at the house.
Old 03-28-2014, 04:43 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 7,318

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Master View Post
These types of systems wil get over the problem of losses in picture quality.
Just make sure that they have the range for transmission.
And you will need power for the cameras, but that should not be hard
a wall wart for the cameras can get power from almost anywhere as its
a very small amount of power.

let us know how you go ?

dmxtothemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 07:14 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 6,652

I run 3 Foscam's, one an outdoor, and a Trendnet IP camera for the common area. All recordings go to a Lenovo ix2-4 NAS. You can use a computer running Blueiris on it, and have more control of being able to monitor, look in while away at what Blue Iris is catching.

You would have to dedicate a computer to run it. Recordings can go to a NAS. I only keep 30-45 days of recordings on two of my cameras. The other two only go into record mode as needed.

gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement