DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

high pitched noise recessed lighting

9K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Do It Right 
#1 ·
I had a kitchen remodel done over a year ago. A licensed electrical contractor did all of the electrical work including our recessed lighting. Today our recessed lighting is making a load high pitched noise, not a humming. They make the noise whether the lights a re on or off. No dimmer switch is in place. I have removed the pig tail bulbs but the noise continues. The recessed lighting cans are the correct ones for the type of kitchen redo we did. HELP! The noise is driving me crazy! Could it be one of the canned fixtures have gone bad? Is there something in the fixture itself that can make that noise?

#3 ·
It makes the noise whether they're on or off?????
Sounds like it can't be the lights. I would shut off everything, then see if it is still there.
Maybe there is ductwork against a light causing vibration, or circulated water line, or something.
I once drove myself nuts trying to find a noise, and it turned out to be coming from a nearby highway!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.