Hiding Wires For Surround Sound And Cable - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-27-2010, 03:49 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

hiding wires for surround sound and cable

Hi everyone This is my first post here so bear with me! I redid my den to make it my dream man room but have run into some issues. I hung a flast screen on the wall, basically only wall where it would look good. The electrical outlet is not near the tv so I had to do a wire mold to hide the main wire. Now I have the TV on the wall, and a shelf below it with the cable box and audio reciever. I screwed the surge protector underneat the shelf so it would just sit oou.

What can I do with the rest of the wires as its quite messy.

Should I send a photo in? Would that help? Thanks so much in advance. I hate wires and it makes it look very messy

kenny
k23ms is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2010, 04:20 PM   #2
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Rewards Points: 2,006

Photos would help.

There are some cool plates that will allow you to bring the wires in the wall and back out again.

http://www.arlnew.com/datacom.htm
Speedy Petey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2010, 04:22 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

Wire mold seems like an appropriate solution for the signal cables to me.
oberkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2010, 04:36 PM   #4

hiding cables

It is a bit of work but I cut a hole on the wall behind the TV where you can not see it and fed the cables down through the wall below and had them exit next to the electronic equipment. My case is an interior wall and I had a custom cabinet below. My work was a permanent installation so I did not mind making the effort and I am unlikely to ever rearrange the room for a long time.
ereilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 05:18 PM   #5

here is a photo

here is a photo of the situation I ran a wire mold just to hide the surge protector cord to the outlet which is not undeneath the TV unfortunatlery
Attached Thumbnails
hiding wires for surround sound and cable-049-640x480-.jpg   hiding wires for surround sound and cable-050-640x480-.jpg   hiding wires for surround sound and cable-051-640x480-.jpg  
k23ms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 07:29 PM   #6

I would suggest two things:

1) A piece of furniture with a glass front for your A/V equipment. You could get something inexpensive from target, ikea, etc., or something more expensive from a furniture store. The furniture will hide the power strip.

2) Cable management You can *probably* pull whatever cable you want behind that wall and hide it all. With any A/V, except for your 110 VAC power, you can put those cables in an "old work low voltage" box, and put whatever kind of faceplate you need on it. I say probably b/c i don't know what is behind that wall - it could be a 2x4 or 2x6 stud wall, and you'll be fine, but it may be brick or block with a furring strip - making it either more difficult or impossible. tough to say until you know for sure.

Before you go drilling/cutting a hole into the wall - check for any electric lines!! A stud finder will usually tell you if there's a line (But there is no guarantee)

Last edited by jdt141; 12-27-2010 at 07:36 PM. Reason: typo
jdt141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 08:33 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 500

I see nothing that cannot be hidden by adding a small apron to the underside of the shelf and taking a little time to organize the cables and attach them securely to the underside of the shelf.
oberkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement