Help! Wiring For Vent/heater/light/night Light Combo! - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-27-2017, 07:39 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2

Help! Wiring for vent/heater/light/night light combo!

Good evening,

I'm new to the site and apologize if this has been answered already but I wasnt able to make sense of the other similar posts I read as it seemed they all had different wiring scenarios.

Long story short, I'm trying to replace a heater/vent/light combo with a heater/vent/light/night light combo. I have 3 individual wall switches from the original unit and have a single 12-3 and a single 12-2 cable going from the switch box to the unit.

My question is if it's possible to utilize the existing two cables ( one 12-3 and one 12-2) and not run any new wires? I want to have full functionality where each option (vent/heater/light/night light...VHL2) can be independently controlled and none are "always on" yet I dont want to sacrifice safety and need it to be up to code.

Any help would be much appreciated. All of the threads I've read through have been super helpful but alas, I'm concerned as my existing set up seems slightly different and I want to make sure I get it right! I imagine pictures would help so I will attach some shortly. Additionally, for some background: old unit was a Broan 655 and new unit is a FV-11VHL2 and the wiring is on it's own 20 amp circuit.
absolut311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2017, 08:09 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 32

Re: Help! Wiring for vent/heater/light/night light combo!

No you need that 12/2 to become a 12/3 in order to have the nightlight function.
LawnGuyLandSparky is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2017, 09:31 PM   #3
Usually Confused

Rewards Points: 2,444

I'm not familiar with that type of combo unit. Is the night light on an internal photocell or an external switch? If external switch, it seems you are one switch short.

While you're at it, you might want to consider replacing the vent switch with a timer so it can clear the room after 'usage'. This is particularly helpful after a shower to reduce humidity and condensation.
lenaitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2017, 07:09 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,076

Quote:
Originally Posted by absolut311 View Post
Good evening,

I'm new to the site and apologize if this has been answered already but I wasnt able to make sense of the other similar posts I read as it seemed they all had different wiring scenarios.

Long story short, I'm trying to replace a heater/vent/light combo with a heater/vent/light/night light combo. I have 3 individual wall switches from the original unit and have a single 12-3 and a single 12-2 cable going from the switch box to the unit.

My question is if it's possible to utilize the existing two cables ( one 12-3 and one 12-2) and not run any new wires? I want to have full functionality where each option (vent/heater/light/night light...VHL2) can be independently controlled and none are "always on" yet I dont want to sacrifice safety and need it to be up to code.

Any help would be much appreciated. All of the threads I've read through have been super helpful but alas, I'm concerned as my existing set up seems slightly different and I want to make sure I get it right! I imagine pictures would help so I will attach some shortly. Additionally, for some background: old unit was a Broan 655 and new unit is a FV-11VHL2 and the wiring is on it's own 20 amp circuit.
You need four switch legs and a neutral to feed the new unit. With a two wire and a three wire you have a total of five conductors plus the grounds. It sounds as though you have enough wires, you just need to figure out what goes where and install a fourth switch. Maybe re-identify the white wire on the two conductor cable to blue and use that for your nightlight. Panasonic's are my favorite and the best for retrofit.

MrElectrician.TV
MrElectricianTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
heater , light , vent , wiring