Help Wiring New Ceiling Fans - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-18-2015, 11:30 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 4

Help wiring new ceiling fans

I am going to install two new ceiling fan/light combos in two adjacent bedrooms. There are existing ceiling lights where I will mount the new fans. In a previous job, I had electricians run a new cable (circuit) into a junction box in the attic for future use. I was wondering if I could use the existing light switch wiring for turning on and off the fans but run the new wiring from the attic junction box to the fans for power? If so, could you explain the proper way of doing that? All the wiring is 14 guage. Thanks.

Last edited by ladthebad; 08-18-2015 at 11:57 AM.
ladthebad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2015, 01:42 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,136

I have to ask why you would feel it necessary or desirable to do so.
Usually, if you are not having problems with existing lights, the fan light combo's will not be a problem.
Oso954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2015, 02:49 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 4

My existing circuits are maxed out so I was wondering if running power from the new circuit while keeping the existing one to the switch would be possible.
ladthebad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2015, 03:36 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,136

You can transfer the switch and the current wiring to the new circuit, particularly if it is currently a switch loop.

If it is power to switch, it will be more involved, requiring you to disconnect power at the switch and from the source. It would also require fishing a new cable down the wall.

If the lights and receptacles are on that circuit, I would consider splitting off one or both of those bedrooms from the current circuit, not just the fan/lights. That will give you greater relief on the current circuit.
Oso954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 05:57 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 746

Power to existing ceiling lights is from the existing switch(s). Think of them as interrupting the power (off) or supplying the power (on) to the lights. From such a switch are 2 wires that go to the light.

For you to run your new circuit, you would have to run new wiring from your attic to each switch. Besides the light, operating the fan from the wall would require a third wire from the switch receptacle which may or may not be there already, and another switch, to operate the fan. If there are only 2 wires to each existing light now, that means when the 1 switch is on, the fan and light would have to be independently operated with the pull cords on the fan/light unit.

Today many fans come with remote controls that can pop into a holder on the wall (look like a wall switch but no wiring involved) or just sit on your night table etc. A receiver unit with a short antenna is wired to power (for both the light and the fan) and installed under the dome piece at the ceiling. If you buy the fan/light that comes with this setup, it will fit by design. The remote will operate the light (on/off), the fan (on/off/direction/speeds) independently without any wall switches. The send (remote) and receiver units will have switches to set the same as each other for same frequency. Second bedroom pair should be set differently from first bedroom.

In such as case, if your 2 bedrooms are just below the attic new circuit, it is easier to install. Just bring new black and white (usually) power to first light box in ceiling and then another new 14 gauge wire in attic from first box to second box in second bedroom. You would be supplying 'hot' power to each light/fan unit without switches, like wall receptacles. The handheld remotes are the 'switches'. If there is a blue wire with each fan/light unit it gets twisted to the unit's black wire so fan and light are wired together.

The original wall switch wiring (the old circuit(s) you won't be using) should be disconnected from the switches and capped off. A blank cover plate should be installed where each wall switch was. I would cap off the old wiring at each old light as well and label them 'dead circuit' for clarity/safety.

Last edited by diyorpay; 08-18-2015 at 06:03 PM.
diyorpay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
fan , junction box , wiring