Help With Situation!! - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical


Thread Tools
Display Modes
Old 08-30-2010, 11:43 PM   #1
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1
Rewards Points: 10

Help with situation!!

New to the site and i have a bit of a situation here. I am currently renting my house and today i tried to replace a faucet on the outside wall. Well it just so happens that the whole thing came out of the wall!! I noticed the copper tubing was not properly brazed but that's going to be fixed by the landlord. The problem is when i went into the crawlspace under the house i noticed what you see in the pic. When we moved in i noticed that when i turned on a light it made a strange noise, like a click. The landlord explained that the house was running 12 volts but i do not believe this due to all the lights are 110v. I did a little research and i think it may be wired 220v and the transformers in the pic take it down to 110v. Am i right in assuming this? What you see in the pic i believe to be not up to code!! It looks quite shoddy!! Can this be a problem and if so how do i bring this up with the landlord? I'd hate to have to move out so soon but this just doesn't look safe. Thanks in advance for any info in this matter.
P.S.-Not sure if you can actually see it now because it only allows 100kb of file size. If anyone wants to see it in it's entirety then i can email it to you. Thanks.
Attached Images
Stoneground is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-2010, 11:47 PM   #2
Licensed Electrical Cont.
Speedy Petey's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NY State
Posts: 7,828
Rewards Points: 2,006

You should NOT be touching anything plumbing or especially electrical.

Let the landlord take care of this stuff.
Speedy Petey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-2010, 12:14 AM   #3
Licensed electrician
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Maryland
Posts: 12,413
Rewards Points: 3,662

It would be very unusual for a house in the US to be using 240 volt lighting. Low voltage, 12V, lighting is typically limited to undercabinet or landscape lighting.

I agree with Petey, call the landlord. And get some renters insurance.
Answers based on the National Electrical Code. Local amendments may apply. Check with your local building officials.
Jim Port is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-2010, 06:13 AM   #4
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,772
Rewards Points: 2,070

Make sure you have fire extinguishers and smoke detectors that work.
COLDIRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 08:02 AM   #5
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 17,158
Rewards Points: 6,652

The song Burning down the house comes to mind on this one. Report it to the local agency that handles rental oversight. Bet the AHJ would love it to.

gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 09:14 AM   #6
Super Moderator
joed's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Welland, Ontario
Posts: 18,844
Rewards Points: 24,030
Blog Entries: 11

Sounds like you have a 12 volts system. The 12 volts is used to turn on relays that turn on the lights. All the switches are wired 12 volts.
That looks like a control for one of the lights and it definitely should be in a box.
joed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need Help With a Carpet Situation Jeraziah Flooring 3 05-03-2010 07:53 PM
Cold air return situation RAYCC3 HVAC 4 09-15-2009 06:44 PM
Ooops Situation - ball meets vent pixelsherpa General DIY Discussions 4 04-01-2009 11:48 AM
Challenging situation, please help. jaes HVAC 4 07-06-2008 06:48 AM
Sticky Situation elias144 Electrical 70 02-05-2008 06:00 AM

Top of Page | View New Posts