Help Identifying This Light Hookup - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-05-2010, 07:23 PM   #1
Professional Wood Shafter

Rewards Points: 154

Help identifying this light hookup

Hello . I ordered this theatre sconce light online thinking it was a normal light, anyways its got like a terminal on the back and the sides are marked T and N and both wires from the light socket or red, is this some sort of low voltage light or a style that needs a transformer? the screws on the terminals even require the use of a screwdriver from a mini set
Attached Images

ryanh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2010, 08:46 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

Pics to small for me
dSilanskas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2010, 09:00 PM   #3
Tool Geek

Rewards Points: 2,160

No luck with me at enlarged view
Attached Thumbnails
Help identifying this light hookup-z1x3.jpg   Help identifying this light hookup-z2x3.jpg  
PaliBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2010, 12:06 PM   #4
Mad Scientist

That's a European-style "choc block" connector. T is hot, N is neutral. Also, it looks like their might be a ground connection in between the two?

What kind of fixture is that? If it came with a lamp installed, the lamp is likely rated for 240V instead of 120V, so you'll probably want to find a 120V replacement.

Also, a bigger picture would be really helpful so we can identify any other potential problems with that fixture.

Last edited by McSteve; 08-06-2010 at 12:07 PM. Reason: add note about picture.
McSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 12:19 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSteve View Post
That's a European-style "choc block" connector. T is hot, N is neutral. Also, it looks like their might be a ground connection in between the two?

What kind of fixture is that? If it came with a lamp installed, the lamp is likely rated for 240V instead of 120V, so you'll probably want to find a 120V replacement.

Also, a bigger picture would be really helpful so we can identify any other potential problems with that fixture.
Thanks for the info!. No i purchased the bulb myself, yes it has the ground in the middle, so should it just hookup as a normal light would and work with a 120V you think? Only thing is it doesn't connect or fit over any light junction box..
Old 08-06-2010, 12:23 PM   #6
Mad Scientist

I have no idea how you'd mount that particular fixture. Marc (frenchelectrician) might know, if he sees this thread.

Someone might also be able to say for sure if that kind of fixture is legal under the electrical code in your area.
The Following User Says Thank You to McSteve For This Useful Post:
frenchelectrican (08-06-2010)
Old 08-06-2010, 12:27 PM   #7

Its a theatre wall sconce was the description. Took me like a year to finally find the style of light i wanted for this wall, and now it has to be some funky style. Couldn't i just cut the 2 wires before the choc block and use wire nuts?
Attached Thumbnails
Help identifying this light hookup-mdmnp207__1.jpg  
Old 08-06-2010, 12:32 PM   #8
Mad Scientist

No need to cut the wires, you can use the choc blocks as is. They are legal to use in the US and Canada, as far as I know. Just insert your hot and neutral wires in the appropriate terminals and tighten down the set screws. And attach the ground to the ground terminal, though I can't see exactly what kind of terminal it is.

It looks like that fixture is designed to mount directly to the wall, with your romex cable coming in through a hole in the back. Someone else will have to tell you whether you do it that way, because I'm not 100% sure.
Old 08-06-2010, 10:36 PM   #9
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Unforetally I can not able see the back of the luminaire but yes some do have a hole that you can slip the conductor in the back however that one it do slip in from the bottom due the luminaire cover will cover the conductors or cable.

This will get little tricky but it can be done on North Americian side yes you can able mounted direct to the junction box however you will have to finetune the luminaire up or down depending on how the mounting and the cover line up so you want it little below the juction box.

{ most of the European verison luminaire some will require junction box and some don't so this one may not need a junction box }

Hook the hot conductor { black to T } while the white one to the N netural and centre termail is earth or grounding conductor.

No you do not have to cut the termail block what we call choc block you will have to use it anyway they are designed to keep the conductors away from the lamp.

Merci.
Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 12:17 AM   #10

Thanks for the help/info. Works great :D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement