HELP!! How To Wire Metalux 6-bulb High Bay Lamp. - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-11-2016, 09:52 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 8

HELP!! How to wire Metalux 6-bulb high bay lamp.

I am installing these Metalux 4 white T5 high bay lamps in our shop; the attached photos show the only directions that were given. The large ballast (lights outside 2 and inside 2 bulbs) shows how to wire 220V. The two bulb ballast only shows schematics for a 110V hookup. The three wire plug has a white, black, and grey with red striped wires. The two wire plug has just a white and black wire. I need both ballasts (all 6 bulbs) wired 220 V. Can anyone please give me directions on wiring both of these ballasts to 220V?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
HELP!! How to wire Metalux 6-bulb high bay lamp.-wiring2.jpg   HELP!! How to wire Metalux 6-bulb high bay lamp.-wiring3.jpg   HELP!! How to wire Metalux 6-bulb high bay lamp.-wiring1.jpg  
martink653 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2016, 09:56 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,556

Re: HELP!! How to wire Metalux 6-bulb high bay lamp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by martink653 View Post
I am installing these Metalux 4 white T5 high bay lamps in our shop; the attached photos show the only directions that were given. The large ballast (lights outside 2 and inside 2 bulbs) shows how to wire 220V. The two bulb ballast only shows schematics for a 110V hookup. The three wire plug has a white, black, and grey with red striped wires. The two wire plug has just a white and black wire. I need both ballasts (all 6 bulbs) wired 220 V. Can anyone please give me directions on wiring both of these ballasts to 220V?

Thanks!
It is difficult to read the details on your photos.
However, since it is always a good idea to look up information from the manufacturer, please see these sites - in particular, the last two.
http://images.philips.com/is/content...-EL_2200_E.pdf and
http://download.p4c.philips.com/l4b/...na_ads_aen.pdf
http://images.philips.com/is/content...-Datasheet.pdf
http://www.lightingsupply.com/media/...S5490C2LSG.pdf

These all appear to indicate that these ballasts can operate at voltages between 120 to 277 (50 or 60 Hz)

The second document includes the following information: -
Ballast shall operate from 50/60 Hz input source of (120V through 277V) with sustained variations of +/- 10% (voltage and frequency).
Ballast shall be high frequency electronic type and operate lamps at a frequency above 42 kHz to avoid interference with infrared devices
and eliminate visible flicker.
FrodoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2016, 10:49 PM   #3

As you can see in the third attached photo, I have connected my 12-3 romax with their perspective colors in the larger ballast with the three plugs. When doing this the outside two and inside two bulbs lit up, leaving the middle two bulbs off. To clarify my initial question with the help of my clearer photos, how can I connect both of these ballasts to an incoming 12-3 romax so that all 6 bulbs light up when I flip the switch?

Thanks for any help!
Attached Thumbnails
HELP!! How to wire Metalux 6-bulb high bay lamp.-wiring5.jpg   HELP!! How to wire Metalux 6-bulb high bay lamp.-wiring6.jpg   HELP!! How to wire Metalux 6-bulb high bay lamp.-wiring4.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2016, 11:28 PM   #4
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 6,034

for one thing, that is not 12/3, but 12/2 with a ground.
The ground should be attached to the body of the fixture and not to any of the quick disconnects.

To get all the lights to light, all the black wires need to be connected to each other, and the same for the whites.

What is the bare wire connected to on the other end?
jbfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 11:43 PM   #5

Quote:
As you can see in the third attached photo, I have connected my 12-3 romax with their perspective colors in the larger ballast with the three plugs. When doing this the outside two and inside two bulbs lit up, leaving the middle two bulbs off. To clarify my initial question with the help of my clearer photos, how can I connect both of these ballasts to an incoming 12-3 romax so that all 6 bulbs light up when I flip the switch?

Thanks for any help!
You have two different varieties of ballast. However, the only significant difference is that one which will control up to 4 "tubes" has an extra "Grey/Red" wire which is/can be used to control (switch on) the lamp. Although this wire is labeled "S" on the ballast diagram, it is not there made clear how this is accomplished. However, this IS shown on the "Wiring Diagram" of http://www.lightingsupply.com/media/...S5490C2LSG.pdf

Here it is indicated that if the Line (Black) and Neutral (White) supplies are permanently connected to the ballast, the lamp(s) may be switched "On" by connecting the Grey/Red wire to the White conductor from the ballast - via a switch.
If you wish to use a switch in the "Line" conductor(s) to perform the switching function (as is usual), the Grey/Red wire would be permanently connected to the White conductor - FROM THE BALLAST.

This would be applicable if you wish to "run" the lamps on 120 V.

However, if you wish to "run" the lamps on 240 V - using Line 1 and Line 2 as the supply - there is NO Neutral involved.

For 240 V operation, you should connect the Black of the ballast to the Black of the supply (Line 1) and the White of the ballast to the Red of the supply (Line 2). Of course, you would also connect the Grey/Red "Switch" wire to the White conductor from the ballast [which is connected to Line 2 (Red)].
DO NOT connect the incoming "Neutral" to anything but "insulate" it.
The Ground wire must be connected as normal.

The other (non-switched) ballast would be connected across Line 1 (Black) and Line 2 (Red) - with the Ground wire connected as normal.

With this set-up you MUST use a double pole switch, to switch BOTH the Black (Line 1) and Red (Line 2) conductors at the same time.

Last edited by FrodoOne; 05-12-2016 at 11:53 PM.
Old 05-12-2016, 11:48 PM   #6

This is 12/3 with a ground...I can provide additional photo tomorrow. I ran the ground to the screw for the ground supplied in the lamp. If I run all the blacks together and all the whites I am just wiring 110. I have a red wire for line 2 and a black wire for line 1, a white wire is a neutral and bare or copper wire for ground. I wondered if I ran blacks to black and red to all whites and ground to green screw if that would wire for 277?
Old 05-13-2016, 12:15 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrodoOne View Post
You have two different varieties of ballast. However, the only significant difference is that one which will control up to 4 "tubes" has an extra "Grey/Red" wire which is/can be used to control (switch on) the lamp. Although this wire is labeled "S" on the ballast diagram, it is not there made clear how this is accomplished. However, this IS shown on the "Wiring Diagram" of http://www.lightingsupply.com/media/...S5490C2LSG.pdf

Here it is indicated that if the Line (Black) and Neutral (White) supplies are permanently connected to the ballast, the lamp(s) may be switched "On" by connecting the Grey/Red wire to the White conductor from the ballast - via a switch.
If you wish to use a switch in the "Line" conductor(s) to perform the switching function (as is usual), the Grey/Red wire would be permanently connected to the White conductor - FROM THE BALLAST.

This would be applicable if you wish to "run" the lamps on 120 V.

However, if you wish to "run" the lamps on 240 V - using Line 1 and Line 2 as the supply - there is NO Neutral involved.

For 240 V operation, you should connect the Black of the ballast to the Black of the supply (Line 1) and the White of the ballast to the Red of the supply (Line 2). Of course, you would also connect the Grey/Red "Switch" wire to the White conductor from the ballast [which is connected to Line 2 (Red)].
DO NOT connect the incoming "Neutral" to anything but "insulate" it.
The Ground wire must be connected as normal.

The other (non-switched) ballast would be connected across Line 1 (Black) and Line 2 (Red) - with the Ground wire connected as normal.

With this set-up you MUST use a double pole switch, to switch BOTH the Black (Line 1) and Red (Line 2) conductors at the same time.
I should run a 12-3 plus ground down and back from my 2-pole switch, [insulating the neutral] is that correct?
Old 05-13-2016, 01:14 AM   #8

Quote:
I should run a 12-3 plus ground down and back from my 2-pole switch, [insulating the neutral] is that correct?
Yes - but I don't know what you mean by "down and back".
In brief, I would say "run a '12-3 plus Ground' from a 2-pole switch, NOT connecting the Neutral at the lamp ballasts - but insulating it there."

Of course, if you wish to keep the orange plug/socket connectors, you will need to arrange multiple connections to the two sockets from the double switched supply.

As jbfan wrote "The ground should be attached to the body of the fixture and not to any of the quick disconnects."
Old 05-13-2016, 07:28 AM   #9
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 6,034

Ok, Looking at a better monitor and lighting, I see that what i thought was a bare wire is a red wire.

What voltage are you feeding the light with?

If you are using 240 volt, then you need a 2 pole switch and do not use the white wire.
If it is 277 volt, you use the black and white wire and use a single pole switch.
jbfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement