HELP! Bad Switch Or? - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-17-2016, 08:48 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 2

HELP! Bad switch or?

So - the kitchen ceiling light blew the other day. I'd turned it off then back on quickly because I'd forgotten something. I thought it was the bulb but replacements don't work.
Bathroom and microwave on same circuit and work fine, thought I don't know the path of the circuit. The other ceiling tight in kitchen also won't work. Both lights in one receptacle but separate switches (see attached photos)
I don't know if the switch on the right goes it will affect the other? The only thing I can think to do is change both. The one on left we haven't used in a long time anyway so I don't know if it's been bad, too, or..?
Attached Thumbnails
HELP! Bad switch or?-img_4676.jpg   HELP! Bad switch or?-img_4681.jpg  
Gspeex is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2016, 10:39 AM   #2
JUSTA MEMBER

Rewards Points: 4,446

Re: HELP! Bad switch or?

Those DECORA switches are usually resilient, but after a few years of age they can get brittle inside and break the little plastic tangs that operate them.

I have had them in my place for 35= years, and the only time that one quit was when I slapped it too hard.

Go buy two to replace them, replace the one that you use most often, to see if it repairs the system, and if this fixes all , return the one, or keep it stored as a spare. If it only fixes the one light, replace the second also.

If this don't fix anything, look for a broken wire, or maybe a tripped breaker, cycle the breaker off then on, sometimes they trip and it is not obvious to see.

ED
de-nagorg is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2016, 01:34 PM   #3
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 312

Re: HELP! Bad switch or?

"...the kitchen ceiling light blew the other day..." = define your term "blew"? Blew the breaker?.....Blew the lamp?......What do you mean by "blew"?

"...I'd turned it off then back on quickly..." = "it" is what? Breaker? Wall switch?

"...Both lights in one receptacle but separate switches ..." = Both lights AND one receptacle? Your picture shows two switches....right-hand switch should do what?, and left-hand switch should do what?

The clarity will help for an electrician to assist you without us being there.
Power- is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement