Help With A 220 Line For My Shop - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-27-2010, 09:40 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Help with a 220 line for my shop

I just moved my shop and need to add a couple of 220 outlets to run a tool and a dust collector simultaneously. In my panel I have only enough space to add one double pull breaker. The biggest tool I will run is a 5hp table saw that draws 15 amps, the dust collector is a 3hp that also draws 15 amps. I have done my own 110 volt wiring as a homeowner so I want to try to do this myself. I think I need to run 8 gauge wire to handle the 30 amp draw and be safe. Is this correct? Also what size breaker would you suggest in the panel? a 40 amp?
The second part of the my dillema is I would love to put a switch next to the table saw to turn the dust collector on and off. Can you switch 220 volt power? and how would I go about doing this?

I have been trying to figure this out for a week reading online and have gotten conflicting info. Any help or links would be greatly appreciated...I want to be able to use my big tools again!!
midnightrider32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2010, 10:28 PM   #2
retired elect/hvac/plumb

Location: south east of omaha/The island of misfit contractors
Rewards Points: 2,020

10ga wire is what you need ,find a 2pull switch/disconect to mount near the machine to kill the power
plummen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2010, 10:33 PM   #3
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

There is one trick I done from time to time is set up a CT switch so that way when the table saw turn on the CT will turn on the relay switch for dust collector on.

I will dig up few links if I can find it { due most of my websites links are in French so let me find in Engish verson }

Merci,Marc

* CT= current transfomer
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2010, 10:37 PM   #4

plummen, thanks for the response. With two 15 amp machines running on the same time on the same circuit do I use a 30 amp breaker? Is this safe or do I really need to do a sub panel and two seperate 15 amp breakers. I would prefer just one circuit and skip the subpanel unless it is unsafe.
Thanks
Old 03-27-2010, 10:41 PM   #5

Marc, thanks for the help. English would be great, I know very little french and half of that is profanity!
Old 03-27-2010, 11:35 PM   #6
" Euro " electrician

Give me a day or two I will able find it

Merci,Marc
Old 03-28-2010, 01:47 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 530

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightrider32 View Post
plummen, thanks for the response. With two 15 amp machines running on the same time on the same circuit do I use a 30 amp breaker? Is this safe or do I really need to do a sub panel and two seperate 15 amp breakers. I would prefer just one circuit and skip the subpanel unless it is unsafe.
Thanks

If only 15 amps, why the need for 10 gauge?

Midnight, what is the configuration of the cord ends on the machines? 2 vertical prongs and gnd or 1 vertical and 1 horizonal with gnd?

What amperage main do you have? Planning to add other power needs in the future?

Is the shop powered from your home?

For the sparkies, can he not get a couple of double pole 110 breakers, move a couple of his 110's and make room for one more regular 220 breaker, if there is room amperage wise?

Or, if he has a way to cut the power to the shop, just replace the panel with a bigger one, with more spaces.

I do know enough to say I would look on the machines and see what the amperage and voltage rating is for each and know the rated capacity of your main for the shop.

Can these machines be wired 220 or 110 as in either or?

Just curious.
boman47k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 01:09 AM   #8
" Euro " electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by boman47k View Post

I do know enough to say I would look on the machines and see what the amperage and voltage rating is for each and know the rated capacity of your main for the shop.

Can these machines be wired 220 or 110 as in either or?

Just curious.
Boman47k.,

I will make it clear the OP did mention the size of table saw and dust colletor and they are pretty big unit and I will not recomoned that to be on 120 volt at all due they will draw more current than it should be.

here the OP's statement:
Quote:
The biggest tool I will run is a 5hp table saw that draws 15 amps, the dust collector is a 3hp that also draws 15 amps.

Now try that on 120 volts circuit you will need much larger conductor size and more exensive reptales and they are somehow more sentive to voltage drop espcally during start up the lights will flicker no question asked.

Now here a nice gotcha you can not use both table saw and dust collector on the same circuit it have to be on seperated circuit unless each motor have it own thermal protection then it may have some leeway on it but I will not really bet on that too much at all.

To OP I almost done with drawing so give me one more day I will have this ready unless other members whom have simauir idea or have remote contoler with key fob thing to turn on the dust collector.

Merci,Marc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement