Have I Been Ripped Off By My Electrician - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree38Likes

Old 05-23-2019, 04:28 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Have I been ripped off by my Electrician

I have had many electrical projects done in my house here they are and what I paid, I live in NYC . Thank you for your help. This guy works a local union. Does stuff on the side.

1. Had the the box upgraded to 220. He didn't even mark what any of the breakers are. $ 3500.00 He charged me for materials he took from his job.

2. I had recessed lighting (12 Lights) installed in my living room and a ceiling fan. He ran the cable in the ceiling, put in a switch and a dimmer switch. I went with him to home depot and bought all the materials spent at least 500 on lights and whatever else he needed. This cost me $2800.00 plus the 500.

3. I had recessed lighting 10 Lights put in my dining room ran the cable in the ceiling plus a new outlet. This cost me $1800.00 .

Now I'm getting ready to have the multi split system put in my house so the 220 has to be brought outside. I already asked the company to recommend me someone. The guy that does the a/c said it should only cost 500 to bring the line outside. I'm sure if I asked this other guy he would charge me thousands.

If these are how much things are then fine but I'm starting to feel like I've been taken advantage of. I'm a widow and feeling very upset about this but it's too late now.
Gonzo1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2019, 04:33 PM   #2
retired framer

Rewards Points: 15,762

Re: Have I been ripped off by my Electrician

That is why you get 3 quotes, so you at least know the ball park you are playing in.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2019, 04:44 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 4,824

Did he do the work specified for the amount specified? If so, then he did not rip you off. Did you overpay? Possibly. As Neal said, best is three or more local bids so you can compare and ask questions.
stick\shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2019, 04:47 PM   #4

I guess I over payed he did the jobs. He did those specific jobs and gave me a price.
Old 05-23-2019, 05:28 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 80

NYC is an expensive place. Those prices do sound a bit high to me, but I live in a different city. We also have no way of evaluating whether his work quality is on par with the price, as we aren't there.

PS. Multi zone mini split units tend to be more expensive. They can also involve quite a bit of labour, so expect it to be a fairly high price too.

Cheers!
supers05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 05:32 PM   #6
wNCmountainCabin

Rewards Points: 388

sorry for your concern, but 'work' can be both subjective and price variable - and both can be aggravating even though they may both be well within 'specs' of the work you asked to be performed... having regrets later can sometimes be pretty common, though.

none of us can assure you that you've not been 'taken', or 'overcharged', since there's no way for us to 'compare' your work you requested to the costs, time, and labor really involved - some areas are more expensive just because they are.

: / ....

or .......... : ) if the work actually 'works'!
NCmountainCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 05:55 PM   #7

Everything works he did do a good job, Guess I am having regrets giving him so much money not knowing if it was a fair price
Old 05-23-2019, 06:01 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 4,824

Let's assume for a minute you did overpay. I would consider that extra an educational expense because you did learn something from this experience.
supers05 and Mystriss like this.
stick\shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 06:10 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo1966 View Post
Everything works he did do a good job, Guess I am having regrets giving him so much money not knowing if it was a fair price
Ask your electrician for a price, and ask a couple more to quote as well. Please let us know, as it'll help others in your area.

There have been complaints on here about people having trouble finding licensed electricians in your area to do small jobs. Plenty of handy men, some good, more not.

Cheers!
Old 05-23-2019, 06:11 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 291

Learn to do it yourself. pull the permits and have your work inspected. If I paid the amounts you did for the electrical work I needed, I would've had to take a second mortgage and perhaps sell an organ.
BluegrassGuy likes this.
seephor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 06:15 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 1,910

A contractor that returns phone calls, shows up on time, does good work, and leaves the jobsite clean is worth a lot more than one that doesn't.
Oso954 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 06:24 PM   #12

I was told by the company doing the mini split the electrical part shouldn’t cost more than 500.
Old 05-23-2019, 06:27 PM   #13

Quote:
I was told by the company doing the mini split the electrical part shouldnâ€t cost more than 500.
It may be accurate, but they aren't electricians. Until you get more quotes, it'll be hard to say.

It does feel a bit high, and you may be able to find cheaper, but maintain high quality. You'll have to do some homework.

Cheers!
Old 05-23-2019, 07:14 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 584

Hi Karen. Hope you get some help here. Good luck.
Old 05-23-2019, 07:38 PM   #15
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 6,816

Quote:
I was told by the company doing the mini split the electrical part shouldn’t cost more than 500.
I have found over the years that when other people price a job I haven't looked at, they are so far off.

Hot tubs are a good example. The hot tub salesman said it should it would only cost a couple hundred dollars, he missed the part about the price of the wire, the GFCI breaker, conduit and the other requirements.

$180.00 per can light is a going price in my area, but that includes all material.

I'm not sure about NY, but contracting electrical work without a license is illegal in my area.
J. V. and HHP123 like this.
jbfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement