Hardwiring Lamp Into Fixture - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-02-2010, 05:50 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

hardwiring lamp into fixture

Hello all!
my wife and i have recently been redecorating and she picked up this light http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80198182 at ikea to use as our chandelier over the dining room table to replace the the traditional one put there by previous owners. problem is that its the kind you would run the powers cable across the ceiling and down a wall to be plugged in versus hardwired to the fixture already present, so i thought no big deal ill just cut the cord and wire it in, but then i seen that it has a little unit that plugs into the wall that reads class 2 power supply led device and the cord from the light plugs into to it. so does this mean i cant hardwire the lamp?

thanks for any help!!

Devin
devin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2010, 05:53 PM   #2
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 966

Quote:
Originally Posted by devin1 View Post
Hello all!
my wife and i have recently been redecorating and she picked up this light http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80198182 at ikea to use as our chandelier over the dining room table to replace the the traditional one put there by previous owners. problem is that its the kind you would run the powers cable across the ceiling and down a wall to be plugged in versus hardwired to the fixture already present, so i thought no big deal ill just cut the cord and wire it in, but then i seen that it has a little unit that plugs into the wall that reads class 2 power supply led device and the cord from the light plugs into to it. so does this mean i cant hardwire the lamp?
thanks for any help!!

Devin
Thats what it means!
jbfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2010, 06:11 PM   #3
Soy Candle Depot

So that lamp has a transformer that takes the voltage down from 120V to be able to run the LED's. That transformer is either in the center of the that light or more likely on the "plug". The plug is the probably the transformer meaning that you can't cut the wires because you would be sending way too much voltage to the LED's and could cause a fire and will definitely kill the light. If you figure out exactly what kind of transformer you need, you could buy one and mount it in the ceiling. Run the 120V house power into it, and the current cord out of it to the fixture.

Good luck Devin!
SoyCandleDepot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2010, 06:19 PM   #4
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

Simply install your outlet in the ceiling in place of the old fixture, and plug it in!

You'll need a swag hook, and one of these type covers:

Life is uncertain -- eat dessert first!!
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kbsparky For This Useful Post:
operagost (11-03-2010)
Old 11-02-2010, 08:18 PM   #5
Soy Candle Depot

Man, I feel stupid for not thinking of that. Great Idea seeing as it will only cost a few $ in additional hardware!
SoyCandleDepot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 08:37 PM   #6

thanks so much fellas! really appreciatte the help! i installed the the sockets where the fixture was and all is working well! again thanks!!!

Devin
devin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement