Hanging New Chandeleir With Old Attachments - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-04-2010, 11:44 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

hanging new chandeleir with old attachments

Just took down an old chandeleir and purchased a new one that I'd like to hang. Of course, I figured it would be a pretty straightforward job until i realized last night that the new chandeleir doesn't fit the old threaded nipple. Is it possible to use the old hardward somehow so I don't have to take out and install a new bracket? Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Thanks!
Belmullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2010, 08:51 PM   #2
Journeyman Wireman

Rewards Points: 150

Didn't the new fixture come with the hardware needed to hang it? It's probably easier to use the correct hardware rather than trying to jury rig a fit with the old hardware.
Jupe Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2010, 09:56 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

What is the weight of the old chandelier and what's the weight of the new one?

Also, when was your house built? How was the old chandelier hung?
brich is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2010, 08:37 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

This shouldn't involve rocket science or major demolision. From what I've seen working with illuminaries in my home, the old threaded nipple should be in a strap that is held in the electric box with two screws. So this should be as simple as unscrewing these two screws, remove the old strap, and replace with a new strap with the correct sized nipple.

If things seem more complex than this, perhaps a picture to better understand your predicament.
HooKooDooKu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 08:51 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks for the replies everyone! House was built in 1925...not sure weight of the old vs. new...other than the clear fact that the new one is lighter.

HooKooDooKu - I think you hit it on the head. The issue i was having was that the opening to even view the old hardware and electrical box is only about 2" in diameter. I believe that once the hardware was installed, the previous owners enclosed the space around it so that only the wiring was coming through...looks a little nicer this way...but, now I can get to the area without cutting the hole larger.

We'll see how it turns out...probably trying it out today. Thanks and I'll post back results.
Belmullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement