Guitar Amp Hum - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-03-2010, 03:41 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

guitar amp hum

I am getting a bad hum/buzz in my guitar amp. I believe it is because my house isn't grounded. I am going to confirm it tomorrow with an outlet tester. If it isn't grounded....what are my options.

1. Should I get a dedicated circuit put in
2. Would plugging the amp into an isolation transformer work.

Thanks
Thundergod is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2010, 05:33 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

It could be a problem *with* a ground as well...
http://www.epanorama.net/documents/groundloop/
Billy_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2010, 06:43 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

Also could be flourescent lights

Running a ground depends upon existing electric setup
You can run a grounding wire...depends upon setup for what you need to do

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2010, 08:20 PM   #4
Just call me Andrew

Rewards Points: 1,032

Have you tried turning down the gain on your distortion pedal?

secutanudu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 09:18 PM   #5
Union Electrician

First see IF you have a ground. If you do, great. Also make sure polarity is correct.
Second, (as mentioned) see what else is on the circuit. Fluorescent lights can introduce hum.

I didn't catch whether or not is was humming with guitar plugged in. If it is humming with instrument in, then check your guitar cord. Shield touching the conductor will introduce hum in a big way. If it's humming without instrument, it will be a power question.
goose134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 09:27 PM   #6

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by goose134 View Post
First see IF you have a ground. If you do, great. Also make sure polarity is correct.
Second, (as mentioned) see what else is on the circuit. Fluorescent lights can introduce hum.

I didn't catch whether or not is was humming with guitar plugged in. If it is humming with instrument in, then check your guitar cord. Shield touching the conductor will introduce hum in a big way. If it's humming without instrument, it will be a power question.
Or interference by a high-powered RF Transmitter!
spark plug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 07:03 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,800

Could be a filter capacitor or rectifier (components inside) gone bad. Particularly if the hum is the same regardless of volume or input selector settings.

It is not a bad idea to ground electronic equipment externally particularly if the equipment does not have 3 prong power cords. Run a 14 or so gauge wire from one piece to the next, screwing it on in a manner that contact (bonding) is made with the chassis via the screw if not directly. Connect the far end of the wire to a known ground, which in some cases can be the screw that holds the cover on a wall receptacle.

Even with proper or added grounding, a bad filter capacitor or rectifier must still be replaced to get rid of hum.

Last edited by AllanJ; 03-04-2010 at 07:13 AM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 08:13 AM   #8
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 510
Send a message via AIM to wirenut1110

I've always heard things hum because they don't know the words
wirenut1110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 10:08 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 196

Try the amp

at a friend's house that has a modern grounded electrical system. Then you will know whether it 's a problem with the amp or your electrical system.
zircon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 10:12 AM   #10
Insert catchy title here

Rewards Points: 75

At church we use DI boxes to help get rid of the hum on a few things - acoustic guitar and the keys. It seems to help.
AppleMac*Fit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 10:15 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 10

I have an old kalamazoo amp that doesnt have a polarity switch on him. when it is plugged in and makes a hum I unplug it, turn over the plug and stuff it back in. It doesnt always cure all the noise but sometimes it does. Floresent fixtures and refrigerators are sometimes the culprit as well.
ROCKON!
mr makita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 12:22 PM   #12

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanJ View Post
Could be a filter capacitor or rectifier (components inside) gone bad. Particularly if the hum is the same regardless of volume or input selector settings.

It is not a bad idea to ground electronic equipment externally particularly if the equipment does not have 3 prong power cords. Run a 14 or so gauge wire from one piece to the next, screwing it on in a manner that contact (bonding) is made with the chassis via the screw if not directly. Connect the far end of the wire to a known ground, which in some cases can be the screw that holds the cover on a wall receptacle.

Even with proper or added grounding, a bad filter capacitor or rectifier must still be replaced to get rid of hum.
Just for the record. And (limited) personal experience. Even a Full-Wave (A/O Half-Wave) Rectifier will yield a "Humming" DC circuit. A Filter Capacitor of sufficient Capacitance (different from Capacity) (mfd.) will "Smooth" the circuit, eliminating the "Hum". When hooking up DC Relays for a Control circuit, where the power is derived from AC, is one of the cases where the difference is most visible.!
spark plug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 12:46 PM   #13
the Musigician

From my years playing bars and weddings and parties, I've found 9 times out of 10 it's a loose connection in the guitar jack itself and usually just swapping to a better (I like ProCo) cable fixes it. I use Excaliber for my bass.
When you get the time, re-solder the loose wire in the jacket. Second culprit is loose connection inside the guitar socket, a bit harder to fix, but still simple.
Any musician knows the cables get yanked a LOT when you jam, this is the main reason I hard-wired a NADY101 to the back side of my Gibson CSE bass.
I LOVE PLAYING WIRELESS!!!

DM
Old 03-04-2010, 01:21 PM   #14
Just call me Andrew

Rewards Points: 1,032

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
I LOVE PLAYING WIRELESS!!!
I have always wanted to get a wireless adapter for my guitar, would be so much fun....I probably should have gotten one while I was actually in a band. It wouldn't do much good sitting in my basement

secutanudu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 01:31 PM   #15
the Musigician

I talked Tommy into getting one for his lead, he also uses a zoom.
We love dancing with the gals while we jam out front....

DM
Advertisement