Grounding Wire - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-28-2014, 04:05 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 6
Arrow

Grounding wire

I don't know much about electricity, that's why I'm here.

i have a battery that has a positive and negative wires, but has a ground wire. Right now, all three wires are connected to a chip.

The connecting piece has it's own wires. Connecting the positive and negative does successfully complete the circuit.

It's rudimentary, so if it's possible to do something else with the ground wire to get it out of the way, it would make it easier for me to permanently set up.

So, if I have a ground wire from the battery, can I safely just remove the ground wire?

Or, can I connect the ground wire to either the positive or negative?

Or, do I need to keep the ground wire attached to something, like the chip it's currently connected to?

It's a relatively small, simple battery.
jinlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2014, 04:12 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 6,652

The ground is just for the circuit, has nothing to do with the battery. The battery should only have Black & Red going to it. If you connect the ground, you will fry or probably already fried the chip.

gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
jinlong (12-28-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2014, 04:17 PM   #3

Well, I haven't disattached the ground yet, and I don't need the chip, as far as I'm concerned. There are still a few pieces that can be removed. It's a broken e-cig. But that is great knowledge! That makes sense now, the chip is what was being protected, which is why it needed the ground. Very cool, thank you, Greg!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2014, 04:40 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 6,652

You are better off buying a new one, than trying to fix it. Too many of these that people of tried to fix, have blown up or caught on fire, because of the battery overheating.

gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
jinlong (12-28-2014)
Old 12-28-2014, 07:10 PM   #5

Thumbs up

Yes, I already have a new one, but since I have two old broken ones, just batteries, I'm putting them back to use. The two broken ones were cheap, $20 batteries, where the top comes off easily. Now, my main battery is an Eleaf iStick, heavy duty, because I'm not okay with breaking stuff that costs me money.

I figure that it's good to have backups - at least until they catch fire. I've had that happen to one before, too (it was sporadic, though, nothing I did to it).

Thank you for the advice, though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
bar , foo , hahahahahahahahahahahaha , helloworld