Grounding Rod Installation - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-19-2010, 11:32 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,062
Question

grounding rod installation

hello. i am building a detached shed that will have a 50A subpanel, for which i understand i need its own grounding.

the shed will be 11 x 9 ft and will have a concrete walkway going along the side where i plan to have the subpanel install inside, which is also the side from which the power line comes into the shed underground. the walkway will be approximately 1 ft away from the shed, with a narrow strip of soil for plants and such.

i wonder where i should drive the rod ? should it be as close to the concrete foundation footing of the shed, i.e. just a couple of inches away, or should i position it under the concrete walkway (2-3 ft away from the foundation) ? in the case of the latter, it would no longer be accessible for excavation (in some weird case) or rewiring (again, why?), without breaking the concrete but i don't know if that matters.

i also plan to bury the rod before i build the shed. i wonder if it is OK to just bury it and leave the other end of the wire that will go into the shed dangling on the ground until i do build it?

yet another question is the size of the rod. i noticed they have 5/8" x 4' rods, i thought since this is small amperage i may be able to qualify for the smaller one, rather than going 8 feet all the way.

thanks.

Last edited by amakarevic; 07-19-2010 at 11:39 AM.
amakarevic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2010, 02:35 PM   #2
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 980

8" required, and anyplace you want to drive the rod.
Most people drive it as close to the service as they can.
jbfan is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jbfan For This Useful Post:
amakarevic (07-19-2010)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2010, 05:54 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,062
Question

thanks. how deep should the top tip of the rod be below grade ? and do i have to solder/braze 14AWG wire to it or is there more user-friendly ways of attaching ?
amakarevic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2010, 06:44 PM   #4
UAW SKILLED TRADES

Rewards Points: 2,652

You need a direct bury ground rod clamp. There are several kinds but the most common is called an acorn clamp (see below). These are found at the big box near the ground rods or conduit fittings.

No #14 awg

Use #6 awg solid from the grounding bar in the sub-panel to the ground rod and secure with clamp.

Ground rod should be just below grade. Put it outside the drip line of the sheds roof. Protect the #6 awg where it is above grade with a pvc sleeve anywhere it is likely to recieve damage from a lawn mover etc.. Generally I go 6 inches to 12 inches below grade with the #6 awg and hit the clamp. Graphic below gives you the idea.

There are some tricks to installing them, especially when driving them vertically into the ground. They can also be laid horizontally in a trench or driven at an angle. Vertically is preferred.

Stubbie

Last edited by Stubbie; 07-19-2010 at 06:50 PM.
Stubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement