Grounding Problems? - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-28-2010, 09:46 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

grounding problems?

my daughter just moved into a house. She has found that when she runs the washer or dryer it causes her computer upstairs to flicker and also causes fine lines on the tv? I am thinking this may be a simple ground problem but am not sure how to approach this. any help would be welcome!!! Thanks!
jrum298 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2010, 09:28 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Does running a hair dryer from the washer outlet cause the same problem?
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2010, 09:32 PM   #3

Question

hair dryer

sorry for my delay...yes hair dryer causes same problem as washer/dryer. the interference remains the same
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2010, 08:54 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,800

It could be (1) a grounding problem, (2) a dirty power problem, or (3) through the air interference problem.

A makeshift ground can be made by stringing a long wire from a known ground, up over door ways and along baseboards with the end screwed to the chassis of the computer (easy with most metal bodied PC's). With a pigtail connected to the chassis of the monitor, held on by the screw that holds the VGA computer cable to the back of the monitor is one way of connecting.

Most surge suppressor power strips also "clean up" "dirty power" that is reduce or eliminate wire borne interference that leaked into the line, possibly from a plugged in motorized appliance, namely remove frequency content other than the 60 Hz of the power itself.

If the washer, dryer, etc. was not properly grounded, it may be more likely to generate airborne or wire borne interefence.

Last edited by AllanJ; 05-02-2010 at 09:00 AM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 10:55 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrum298 View Post
sorry for my delay...yes hair dryer causes same problem as washer/dryer. the interference remains the same
I'd say it's a high resistance connection upstream of the washer and the computer, which lowers the voltage to the computer.
Check the voltage at the washer outlet while you switch the hair dryer off to on and back; a 3v drop [e.g. from 120v to 117v] from off to on is about normal.

Last edited by Yoyizit; 05-03-2010 at 10:58 AM.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 11:24 AM   #6
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 3,654

Are the washer and dryer on the same circuit as the bedroom? does this problem happen whenever a large motor load is in use?
Old 05-03-2010, 09:29 PM   #7

Thumbs up

ground Problem

Thanks to all for your help!! I will use your direction and let you know what I find ( if anything). Hope to get over there later this week.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement