DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (https://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Electrical (https://www.diychatroom.com/f18/)
-   -   Grounding conductor for service must be # 4 copper wire (https://www.diychatroom.com/f18/grounding-conductor-service-must-4-copper-wire-657723/)

form8829 04-21-2019 08:27 PM

Grounding conductor for service must be # 4 copper wire
 
This the note that the inspector left when came to inspect the electrical installation on a double wide mobile home.

Can someone please correct me if I am wrong, but I thought # 4 should be for aluminum wire and for copper wire should be # 6 - according to the code book correct?

This is for residential installations.

brric 04-21-2019 09:39 PM

Re: Grounding conductor for service must be # 4 copper wire
 
Service size and type of grounding determines conductor sizing. NEC never requires larger than #6 copper to grounding rods. Local requirements may differ. Never use aluminum conductors for grounding if they are at or below grade.

form8829 04-22-2019 09:43 AM

Re: Grounding conductor for service must be # 4 copper wire
 
I guess my other question will be, is the inspector referring to the main conductors from the outside panel to the inside?

AllanJ 04-22-2019 08:36 PM

Re: Grounding conductor for service must be # 4 copper wire
 
What was the inspector saying (words verbatim, not asking you to read his mind) when you thought he might be referring to the main conductors from the outside panel to the inside?

Incidentally if there is a panel or box with a whole house shutoff outside under the meter then there must be 4 conductors -- two hots, neutral, and ground -- running from there to any inside panel which may be large and may be the primary panel for the house branch circuits.

Jim Port 04-23-2019 01:04 AM

What size is the service you are installing? Is the grounding for a metallic water.line or to a rod?

form8829 04-23-2019 05:49 PM

Re: Grounding conductor for service must be # 4 copper wire
 
he actually was referring to the conductor that goes to the grounding rods.

Wiredindallas 04-23-2019 08:33 PM

The ground from the 1st means of disconnect past your meter needs to be #4 copper if it is a 200 amp service (2/0 or 3/0 hot conductors).

brric 04-23-2019 09:07 PM

Re: Grounding conductor for service must be # 4 copper wire
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wiredindallas (Post 5819451)
The ground from the 1st means of disconnect past your meter needs to be #4 copper if it is a 200 amp service (2/0 or 3/0 hot conductors).

Not to grounding rods per NEC.

Calson 04-25-2019 02:36 PM

Re: Grounding conductor for service must be # 4 copper wire
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by brric (Post 5819481)
Not to grounding rods per NEC.


Per the NEC it depends on the size of the service-entrance conductor. Safer to go with 4 AWG wire as the cost difference is trivial at less than 40 cents a foot in savings.

Where I use 6-gauge is when I need to bridge a valve or water filter put in a jumper wire to maintain the ground continuity of copper pipe.

brric 04-25-2019 05:21 PM

Re: Grounding conductor for service must be # 4 copper wire
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Calson (Post 5820771)
Per the NEC it depends on the size of the service-entrance conductor. Safer to go with 4 AWG wire as the cost difference is trivial at less than 40 cents a foot in savings.

Where I use 6-gauge is when I need to bridge a valve or water filter put in a jumper wire to maintain the ground continuity of copper pipe.

Another incorrect statement. The NEC does not require larger than #6 copper to grounding rods, regardless of the service size. Upsizing provides no additional protection.

Jim Port 04-25-2019 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calson (Post 5820771)
Quote:

Originally Posted by brric (Post 5819481)
Not to grounding rods per NEC.


Per the NEC it depends on the size of the service-entrance conductor. Safer to go with 4 AWG wire as the cost difference is trivial at less than 40 cents a foot in savings.

Where I use 6-gauge is when I need to bridge a valve or water filter put in a jumper wire to maintain the ground continuity of copper pipe.

The #6 to bond over a meter is not large enough on a water line ground.

The NEC never requires anything larger than #6 to a ground rod. You are not getting any additional safety by using #4.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:02 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.