Golf Cart Charger Made Garage Lights Not Work. Guess I Blew Something. Please Help. T - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By chandler48
  • 2 Post By chandler48

Old 07-06-2017, 09:08 PM   #1

Golf cart charger made garage lights not work. Guess I blew something. Please help. T

Hey guys.

So I was charging my golf cart in my garage just earlier. I heard it cut off after just a few minutes. Then noticed all power in garage was out. This includes everything. Garage door, all outlets, ceiling lights etc. I checked all the gfi outlets around the house but none were tripped. Only one in garage. I reset them all but still no power. I also checked breaker box and no breakers were tripped. So what do you guys think I'm dealing with? Thanks so much for your help!

Chad.
Nucleus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2017, 09:43 PM   #2
retired framer

Rewards Points: 22,180

Re: Golf cart charger made garage lights not work. Guess I blew something. Please hel

Breakers don't always look like they have tripped.
Turn it off and on again. If it pops again you may have other problems.
Or you could just have a poor connection somewhere in one of those boxes.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2017, 09:59 PM   #3

Yeah I turned off main breakers outside of house and then one by one breakers in my box in laundry room. Still nothing.

So I'm thinking the outlet the cart was plugged into looks a bit blackish. Could a bad outlet on a circuit make the whole circuit not work?
Thing is so many things run on this one circuit. All garage, outside front lights, attic lights and garage hallway into kitchen. So time being none of those work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2017, 10:05 PM   #4
retired framer

Re: Golf cart charger made garage lights not work. Guess I blew something. Please hel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucleus View Post
Yeah I turned off main breakers outside of house and then one by one breakers in my box in laundry room. Still nothing.

So I'm thinking the outlet the cart was plugged into looks a bit blackish. Could a bad outlet on a circuit make the whole circuit not work?
Thing is so many things run on this one circuit. All garage, outside front lights, attic lights and garage hallway into kitchen. So time being none of those work.
Power goes from one to the next so if everything is out, It will closest to the breaker box. The electricians will be along to help you out.
Old 07-06-2017, 10:23 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,242

Had a similar incident last month. My son was working on his car using the air compressor. It died out midway through the job. We tried to reset the GFI outlet but nothing happened, so we assumed the compressor died. Went and bought a new one, a Porter Cable belt drive model which I've had my eye on, and brought it home. Filled it up with oil and plugged it in. Nothing. Turns out the GFI outlet died. Got a new one and everything is working again. Gave the old compressor to a friend.
Dave Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 10:34 PM   #6

Yeah thing is there are 3 outlets in garage. One in the ceiling, one a couple feet up a wall, and one near the floor. Only one outlet is GFI and it's the one near the floor. Nothing was plugged into it. The golf cart battery was plugged into the outlet that's up the wall.
Old 07-07-2017, 12:26 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 7,514

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucleus View Post

So I'm thinking the outlet the it makcart was plugged into looks a bit blackish. Could a bad outlet on a circue the whole circuit not work?
1 - QUOTE - [ the outlet the cart was plugged into looks a bit blackish.]
ANS 1 - If it looks damaged in any way replace it.
2 -QUOTE - [ Could a bad outlet on a circuit cause the whole circuit not to work? ]
ANS 2 - YES !
3 - QUOTE - [Thing is so many things run on this one circuit. All garage, outside front lights, attic lights and garage hallway into kitchen. So time being none of those work.]
ANS 3 - The power for these things comes thru the suspected outlet, so
if that outlet or wiring to is faulty this could easily stop power to everything downstream.
dmxtothemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 05:14 AM   #8
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 4,668

GFCI's don't trip on overload. They trip with ground fault, so you most likely have fried a connection in the receptacle. You could have damaged the GFCI's internal electronics as well, so replacing it may be a thing to do. Best thing to do is remove the power at the breaker and pull all the receptacles and do a physical inspection of the receptacle itself and the wiring to it. If it is using stab back connections, remove them by a twisting action and put them under the screw heads.
MTN REMODEL LLC likes this.
Old 07-08-2017, 09:10 AM   #9

Thanks for all the responses guys. What's odd is just a few minutes ago everything started working again in garage. All receptacles and lighting.

So for over 24 hours nothing worked and now it's back on. I never changed receptacle and planned on it this weekend.

So should I be concerned with anything? Is it odd it would start working again after 24 hours?
Old 07-08-2017, 09:23 AM   #10
retired framer

This will give you a chance to map the system.
By un wiring one at a time you will be able to see in what order everything is connected so next time you will have a good idea where the problem would be, by what goes out and what doesn't. And in doing that you may find the problem.
Old 07-08-2017, 09:32 AM   #11
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 4,668

It didn't fix itself, that's for sure. A connection was remade either by gravity or by the tension in a wire, but it will happen again, and you could have heat problems where that wire is loose. As Neal said, map it all out, make sure all the connections are good and under screws.

Off topic story. I had a 1986 Nissan Hardbody V6 pick up. When I made a certain oscillating turn each morning as I left work, the engine would die. After about 5 minutes it would start and run fine. After the dealer (warranty) changed the injection system, throttle body, electronics, etc. one of the technicians noted a ground wire on the computer that was never firmly attached from the factory. It would fall off during inertia and return after it relaxed.
Dave Sal and Nealtw like this.
Old 07-08-2017, 09:37 AM   #12
retired framer

Check for loose screws in the breaker box too.
Old 07-09-2017, 01:33 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 308

Open the receptacle box where the charger was plugged in.
You may find a burned or loose connection.
If it looks "blackish" as you say, My money goes to burned open connection in that particular receptacle box.
Advertisement