Going To Install Recessed Lighting In Basement. - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-03-2010, 04:19 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 308

going to install recessed lighting in basement.

Hello all, I am planning to remodel my basement and I am going to replace the florescent lights with recessed lighting. My first question is, and i'm sure i'll have more later.

When installing the housing, does the can part protrude through the drywall so its flush with the side that will be seen? Or is it supposed to be flush with the top side?

thanks
jburchill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2010, 05:54 PM   #2
Electrician

Rewards Points: 910

99% of the potlights that I have seen will have an 1/2" lip on that will protude down in the drywall.

I did see potlights once that did not do this and you had to cut the hole a 1/4" smaller then the frame and the houseing got attached to the remaining piece of drywall.
darren is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2010, 03:36 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 308

I have seen videos where people put the canned lighting up first, then then put the sheetrock up. then they cut around the can hole. But if they do it that way, won't the canned lighting be above the drywall and not protuding down?
jburchill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2010, 03:50 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 272

you use a spin saw ( drywall router) and penetrate the drywall in the centre of the can and then go to the edge, once at the edge jump to the outside of the can and go around it is not difficult once you get the hang of it. This allows the drywall the be pushed up to the studs, creating a nice fit.
fixrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 08:36 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

I just finished wiring and cutting the holes for pot lights exactly like you described (replacing old florescent fixtures). The cans I bought were "retrofit" cans. You cut the hole, wire them outside the hole, then fish/push the whole thing in. There are then clips inside the can that push out and put a secure fit to the drywall. The lip from the can is maybe 1/16 inch, then the trim kit that fits in brings it all down a little bit.

Keep in mind the electrical load. My old florescent fixtures were wired into a general circuit. My 20 new halogen pot lights needed two dedicated 15A circuits, meaning I needed to run new lines from the panel. All in all though, an "easy" project (that for me did require a lot of drywall cutting and patching).

EDIT: forgot to mention, my cans were 4" cans. I bought a 3 5/8 hole saw from HD that's sized just right (leaves a 3/8 lip for the can to clamp onto). Made cutting the holes extremely easy.
Hauger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 09:04 AM   #6
Just call me Andrew

Rewards Points: 1,032

The cans I have seen, the lip is pushing up on the bottom of the drywall, inside the room. The trim you use covers this lip.

secutanudu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 09:18 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 272

I based my choice of light fixture on both price and my needs and code. I found trying to find a fixture that I could insulate around ( that code part) and not break the bank the most challenging but I did. I also choose to use compact flourescent pot lights as they have proven to be inexpensive to run. I also have high expectations for LED lighting that would fit nicely into the cans I have installed.
fixrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement