GFCI Requirements For Screened Porch - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-23-2010, 11:34 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

GFCI Requirements for Screened Porch

Are GFCI outlets needed for a wood framed and covered screened porch? Rain water does sometimes splatter everywhere during strong, windy storms. The outlet in question is already covered, but is not a GFCI.
mkrawitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2010, 12:08 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

I believe NEC requires ALL outdoor recepticals to be GFCI protected.

Even if it didn't, like you pointed out, water can get on the porch under the right conditions, so I'm add one regards if NEC required it or not. Go ahead and either spend a few bucks and install a GFCI outlet... or you can still use a standard outlet if you are going to power it from the LOAD side of an existing GFCI outlet located in say a basement.
HooKooDooKu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2010, 12:14 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks. Does NEC also require it to be a covered GFCI receptable? (i.e. a waterproof cover).
mkrawitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2010, 12:57 PM   #4

From what I understand, you only need a water "resistant" cover if the outlet is in a protected spot (i.e. what some call a "damp" location such as a covered porch). If it is exposed directly to the elements (what some call a "wet" location), then you need one of those bubble covers that protects the outlet from rain even when something is plugged into it.

What I'm not sure is if current code requires "water resistant" outlets (they are labeled with a blue "WR") for "damp" locations.
Old 04-23-2010, 01:06 PM   #5

I did a quick amount of research, and it appears NEC 406.8 covers this situation.

The NEC defines a "damp" and "wet" locations, with a covered porch being considered "damp" ("wet" would be where directly exposed to rain OR water run off).

For a "damp" location, a Weather Resistant (WR is weather resistant, not water resistant) receptical is required, and must be in an enclosure that is weatherproof when the receptacle is covered (i.e. nothing plugged in, and cover closed).

For a "wet" location, the WR is also required, but the enclosure must keep the outlet weatherproof when something is plugged into it.

Bottom line, you need the new weather resistant receptical and the old plain flat style weatherproof enclosure (NOT the bubble type enclosure).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement