GFCI Keeps Tripping On And Off At Random Times - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-26-2010, 09:29 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

GFCI keeps tripping on and off at random times

I have a filtration pit outdoors with a total of 3 boxes with 12 outlets. In addition from the same line I have electric with 2 outlets and a fan inside a shed. I have had an on going problem for the last 9 years where the line will trip during certain rain storms maybe once a month on average. Most recently however, the line has been tripping as much as every 2 hours during dry sunny weather even.

Over the past weekend it probably tripped 15 times with clear sky's.

My electrician says he needs to be here when the line trips to help figure out the problem. The 2 times he came by the line didn't trip while he was here . And the last few days he hasn't returned my phone calls.

This has been driving me nuts and I don't know what to do. I don't know anything about electric, so keep that in mind.

I have experimented with a few things.

I have hooked up all my pumps and UV lights to an extension cord connected to a different GFCI on the outside of the house and it never trips when doing that.
I have also disconnected everything from the filtration pit outlets but the line still trips with nothing hooked up to it.

Would cutting the 20 amp line just before the filtration pit determine if the tripping is being cause by the wiring in the pit or the line running underground from the house to the pit?

Any ideas on how to pin point the problem area would be greatly appreciated.
helter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2010, 04:04 AM   #2
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 3,662

There is no need to cut the lines. You could turn the power off and remove a portion of the circuit at a splice already in the system. If the circuit stays on the problem is past your open splice.

Do you have multiple GFI's feeding each other?
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2010, 08:32 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Port View Post

Do you have multiple GFI's feeding each other?
The GFI switch is in the fuse box in the garage. If I am understanding correctly that is the GFI that controls all the outlets in the filtration pit. It's the only one to my knowledge.

Does that make sense?
helter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement