Generator Setup(looking For Opinions) - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-30-2009, 01:28 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Generator setup(looking for opinions)

Hi, I am in the process of wiring my generator to my house so I don't have to run extension cords every time we lose power. I just want to run this by electricians to make sure this sounds kosher.

Here's an overview of what I am doing. I have a portable 5500 watt generator that I am wiring to the house so I don't need to run extension cords during an outage.

I have a unique situation in that It's a multi family home (house and Basement in-law apt.) and it has to main panels on 2 separate meters. What I want to do install one of those recessed receptacles outside by my shed to keep the generator as far away from the house as possible, I plan to run #6 THHN in conduit underground to achieve this.

once inside the house I want to mount a 6 space load center with 2 double pole 30A breakers in it, the #6 wire will come into the box from the plug and supply the box with power.

From sub panel I want to run #8 wire thru 2 seperator peices of conduit to each breaker box to a 30A 2 pole breaker in each box. How does this sound?

Questions you may have...

1. Where's the transfer switch?
I have Square D Mechanical interlocks on each breaker box the 30A breakers occupy slots 2 and 4 in each box.

Questions I have...

1. Is it ok to have #6 neutral wire running from the sub panel to each breaker box with the rest of the wire being #8?
naehring2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2009, 05:39 PM   #2
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 980

As long as the interlocks keep the mains turned off while the 30 amp breakers are on, then you are fine.
jbfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2009, 10:01 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

I would check with your local utility company. Mine said you may not use the main as the disconnect.
hayewe farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement