Gas Pipe To Electrical Panel - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-17-2013, 07:49 PM   #1
how

Rewards Points: 1,108

gas pipe to electrical panel

I had an electrical contracter come in to do an electrcal safety assessment on my home. (It's 100yrs+ with a bit of knob & tube in Vancouver BC)
He is recommending switching from the 60 to a 100amp service.

There is a black iron gas pipe that is close to the present 60amp panel and he says the pipe should be moved away but doesn't know how far away to move it.
He quoted a one meter distance but I notice thats a requirement for a gas valve, not for gas piping. I asked him to find out from the electrical inspecter but claims unless he takes out a permit, the inspecter is not going to answer him.
I know that a permit is needed but am baulking at him saying that until I commit to a permit, he's not going to tell me.

Anyone know?

Is there a set distance or is it up to the disgression of the inspector?

Last edited by how; 05-17-2013 at 07:51 PM.
how is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2013, 08:18 PM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Call your building department directly and ask them. Or, if you have a library branch near you, the research staff will chase down an answer for you.

Obviously you would not want a leaking gas line next to electrical but if you may be "grandfathered" on this---right or wrong. If you open yourself up to inspection, you may face a list of other things you need to do. Probably good ideas all but they could lead to unplanned expenses.

Is this a working gas line or something legacy from gaslight days, by the way? I found lots of old gas lines in antique homes and just let them be after I made sure they were empty with no chance of gas getting in them again. They have no recycle value so it made to sense to expense removing them to clients.

All that said, your electrician may not be willing to certify his work with a gas line near it.

Last edited by user1007; 05-17-2013 at 08:20 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2013, 08:35 PM   #3
how

Thanks sdsester

It's an active solid ( no fittings nearby) 2" black iron line from the days of manufactured gas that runs through a wall and just above the top corner of the service. I don't mind moving it if it insures a smooth approval but if I have to move it more than one foot away from the vertical edge of the service panel, it will be troublesome.

Last edited by how; 05-17-2013 at 08:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2013, 10:49 PM   #4
how

I am thinking that if I stay out of the minimum service access envelope measurements of 30" width X 36" depth X 78" height for the service panel, that I'd be within code??????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement