Gas Line For Ground - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-27-2014, 08:00 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,832

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletis View Post
There are a bunch of outlets in a house with only a hot/nuetral. There is an old abandoned gas line from the 20's all over the ceiling in basement then punches out around 4 ft deep into soil. Can I use this to bond to, while running some bare #12 grounds to these outlets? It's a great ground, I did a test
Both you and I know that is at least several code violations.

Put in GFCI protection and call it good.
Jump-start is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2014, 08:07 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 455

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jump-start View Post
Both you and I know that is at least several code violations.

Put in GFCI protection and call it good.
I"m not worried about clearing faults, I need to get rid of static buildup on the highly sensitive electronic devices the guy is plugging in
Cletis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2014, 08:19 PM   #3

Quote:
I"m not worried about clearing faults, I need to get rid of static buildup on the highly sensitive electronic devices the guy is plugging in
Whats wrong with running it back to the panel's ground bar?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2014, 08:37 PM   #4

too involved. basement, finished plaster lathe ceilings with spackle popcorn finish going in and out of 3 rooms with different elevations to get to it. He doesn't have much money therefore I don't have much time so...just trying to help an old veteran on a fixed budget
Old 12-27-2014, 08:41 PM   #5

Quote:
too involved. basement, finished plaster lathe ceilings with spackle popcorn finish going in and out of 3 rooms with different elevations to get to it. He doesn't have much money therefore I don't have much time so...just trying to help an old veteran on a fixed budget
First of all you know what you propose isn't even allowed or safe. A 4 foot gas line will not clear fault, and will not give surge protection and it definitely isn't helping him.

Install a GFCI outlet, and in terms of surge protection those strips still protect line to line.
Old 12-27-2014, 09:02 PM   #6
UAW SKILLED TRADES

Rewards Points: 2,652

Can you bond the abandoned gas pipe to a grounding electrode ?

Stubbie
Stubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 09:13 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubbie View Post
As long as the grounding electrode he is connecting to is also bonded back the service disconnect with a main bonding jumper he is ok.
Old 12-27-2014, 09:13 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubbie View Post
Yes, very easily. Actually the old bond is still there pulled up and curled up. The main gas line passes right near the main panel. I already planned on clamping on a new water clamp and # 6 to main panel if I even attempted this.

Also, the system now won't clear a fault anyhow (other than melt the wire), he just wants to protect the electronics from static build up is all.
Old 12-27-2014, 09:19 PM   #9

Quote:
Yes, very easily. Actually the old bond is still there pulled up and curled up. The main gas line passes right near the main panel. I already planned on clamping on a new water clamp and # 6 to main panel if I even attempted this.

Also, the system now won't clear a fault anyhow (other than melt the wire), he just wants to protect the electronics from static build up is all.
A properly sized EGC/GEC will never burn up regardless to what its connected to.
Old 12-28-2014, 07:01 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 3,438

A gas pipe does not count as a grounding electrode. Gas plumbing should be grounded, several methods qualify. One method is connecting a gas pipe to the house grounding electrode system using #6 copper wire. Here the fat wire from the gas pipe is called a bonding jumper instead of a GEC.

But technically, metal plumbing that exits the house undeground and runs on for 20 feet and does not carry gas will qualify as a grounding electrode.

If you drive a ground rod or use the decommissioned pipe as a grounding electrode, you must bond it to the rest of the grounding electrode system using #6 copper (sometimes larger; I don't have the NEC table in front of me). Everything using the pipe as a grounding electrode has to be attached within 5' of where the pipe exits the house underground, or bonded to an existing GEC (not a bonding jumper or other equipment grounding conductor) instead of to the pipe itself.

Last edited by AllanJ; 12-28-2014 at 07:25 PM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement