Garage Door Opens,won't Close - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-06-2010, 12:01 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

garage door opens,won't close

I had to replace the sensors for my garage door opener. now the door opens but will not close. The manual says if lights on sensors are fading or blinking or out to align them. they are both on full and bright. The door does not stop when sensors are blocked while door opening. Anyone know idf this is a quick fix or replacement time. sensors were replaced after a lightning storm which blew one out. has not worked right since.
Any help would be appreciated.
stryker50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2010, 04:04 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Rewards Points: 29,300

Lightning probably also damaged the main circuit board. Does the door go down if you hold the button on the wall? It should go down if the sensors are blocked, if you hold the button.
joed is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2010, 04:37 PM   #3
Renovations contractor

Rewards Points: 250

Have you checked the tension adjustments for up and down ... Usually there are 2 little controls that can be adjusted with a screw driver and there will be plus/minus markings beside them? Also make sure that both the left and right cables are tight and spray some WD40 on the chain and tension spring. I do these things twice/ year as routine maintenance. If none of this helps then quite likely an internal circuit issue.

Last edited by Bonzai; 11-06-2010 at 04:40 PM.
Bonzai is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2010, 10:06 PM   #4
I=E/R

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by stryker50 View Post
I had to replace the sensors for my garage door opener. now the door opens but will not close. The manual says if lights on sensors are fading or blinking or out to align them. they are both on full and bright. The door does not stop when sensors are blocked while door opening. Anyone know idf this is a quick fix or replacement time. sensors were replaced after a lightning storm which blew one out. has not worked right since.
Any help would be appreciated.
The sensors don't come into play for the door to open - they only prevent it from closing. There are two parts to the sensor circuit: the light and the receiver. The receiver usually has some LEDs to tell what is happening but this can vary from brand to brand. The light shines across the opening and activates the receiver. You should be able to watch the receiver and see the LEDs change as you block and unblock the light beam if it has LEDs. The light beam must be aimed properly too so it reaches the receiver. Does your unit have LEDs on the receiver? What brand opener?
a7ecorsair is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement