Future Fireplace Considerations - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-11-2009, 12:38 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

future fireplace considerations

I'm running CSST for a future basement fireplace. What kind of electrical service do I run and on what side should I put it in? Can I have it count as 1 device for a run of 14/2? Do the fireplace and fan count as 2 devices. Our fireplace upstairs has the fireplace switch on the left and the blower switch on the right, can the switches be on the same side? Thank you.
8roty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2009, 12:51 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 25

It is according to which brand you are thinking about going with. I am a sub installer service tech for Hearth & Home Technologies which owns Heat N Glo, Heatilator, and Quadrafire. The Heatilator and Heat N Glo models utilize an unswitched hot on the right side. It uses a low voltage switch wire which comes with the fireplace or you can go ahead and put it in the wall now. It doesn't matter which side that it is on. The fan on it works off a thermostat and doesn't require a switch. These fireplace do not have a standing pilot so hence the unswitched power. It uses very little power so 14/2 would be fine although if you ever think you would want to upgrade to a nicer wall switch to control more functions make sure you install a 3 wire low voltage run. Hope this helps.

Chris
ausblake is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement