Fuse Box To Circuit Breaker - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-12-2010, 01:01 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

fuse box to circuit breaker

I recently bought a recreational use cabin that was built in the early 60's. The previous owner had told me that it was originally a trailer that was added on to. It currently has two fuse boxes located in different parts of the building. We have no hot water there and would eventually like to add a hot water heater. I guess my question is do we need to update to a circut breaker, rewire the whole place or what. Not even sure where to start and what do you think this is gonna cost me? The cabin is in Nebraska.
wendyk673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2010, 01:12 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

so you can all see, I have posted earlier questions about this same dilemma. Since taking possession of the cabin, we have found that the outlets in the kitchen area do work and that the oven is not plugged in. Not sure why except the previous owners stated that it causes fuses to blow. Anyway we have not had much of a problem except once when running a hotplate, microwave, a light and a space heater in different outlets in the kitchen, (but must be on the same circut) at the same time. We did blow a fuse then. Anyway do you think it could be the range itself that causes the fuse to blow (it is an antique) and if we replaced it with a new one would that solve the problem? I know that in each of the fuse boxes there is one open spot that doesn't even have a fuse in it so I am guessing that it is not hooked to a circut, so could I run wire from it to a location for a hot water heater and just use the empty fuse space? Any advise is appreciated.
wendyk673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2010, 06:04 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

It sounds like you need more than a service panel upgrade. If possible, I would consolidate everything to one panel, redo some of the circuits to make things usable. Rustic is one thing, but what you describe sounds dangerous.
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2010, 07:24 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,800

You can get 30 amp fuses and rewire the fuse box with appropriate sized wire (10 gauge for 30 amps) but if you don't have enough fuse sockets (branch circuits) you might as well upgrade to a modern breaker panel.

A stove needs two fuse sockets for 240 volts and so does a water heater. Some fuse boxes have a separate rectangular block that takes two 30 or 40 amp cylindrical fuses for a stove 240 volt circuit.
Advertisement