Fluorescent Lighting - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree8Likes
  • 2 Post By Nealtw
  • 2 Post By DexterII
  • 3 Post By KPDMinc
  • 1 Post By DexterII

Old 03-07-2018, 07:03 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2

Fluorescent lighting

I have a 6 bulb fluorescent light that I got from work that has two 347v to 480v ballasts that I want to be made to plug into a wall outlet. Is it safe to just wire it up to a plug or would I have to do something else?
larryb86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2018, 08:16 PM   #2
Guapo

Rewards Points: 11,950

Re: Fluorescent lighting

347 volt ballast? Was it from a commercial setting?
Guap0_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2018, 08:34 PM   #3
Super Moderator

Rewards Points: 30,090

You can not just add a cord and plug it in. You need to change the ballast(s) to 120 volt versions.
joed is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2018, 08:38 PM   #4
retired framer

Rewards Points: 4,424

I would just convert it to led, no ballast needed.
MTN REMODEL LLC and CaptTom like this.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 08:47 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,536

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealtw View Post
I would just convert it to led, no ballast needed.
Neal beat me to it. But I should add, make sure you get the LED tubes which work without a ballast. Some "drop in" tubes only work with a specific ballast. Sometimes you need to read the fine print.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 09:21 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 230

I agree completely with converting it to LED. You would need to replace the ballast to make it work at home. At some point in time you won't be able to replace the fluorescent bulbs anyway, and in the meantime you put up with the occasional if not regular flickering and hum. And when it does flicker or hum, is it a bulb or the say $50 ballast? So eliminate the ballast completely, and in place of a heavy and expensive ballast, using the LED vernacular, you will use bulbs that have "drivers". The drivers serve in place of a ballast. I am in the process of converting nine 8' fluorescent fixtures in my shop to LED and although I was initially a little hesitant can tell you for certain that you won't regret it. If the bulbs in your fixture are T12, I believe that you will need to replace the tombstones with T8 ones, because I do not think that T12 LED tubes are available, but that will take all of a few minutes, and you will not lose anything as far as the amount and quality of light.
rjniles and Nealtw like this.
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 01:15 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 312

the price you are going to pay for retro-parts, you could spend on a modern day complete fixture...
Oso954, Nealtw and F250 like this.
KPDMinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 02:30 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPDMinc View Post
the price you are going to pay for retro-parts, you could spend on a modern day complete fixture...
Agreed. Not worth it, or the effort.
ryandale56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 03:02 PM   #9

Quote:
Maybe. Prices, circumstances, etc. vary of course, and maybe I'm getting a sweeter deal than I realized, but similar quality 8' fixtures would have easily cost me an additional $50 a piece more. With ten fixtures I considered that significant. And, in my case anyway, more than half the battle is moving equipment around in order to get a 12' step ladder or extension ladder set up in the right places, so an additional 10-15 minutes to convert them over is not too significant. So yeah, for one or two fixtures that are easy enough to reach, and if you have to spend much time finding the right kits and bulbs, maybe it makes sense to throw the old one away and buy a new one.
Old 03-08-2018, 03:51 PM   #10
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 166

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterII View Post
I agree completely with converting it to LED. You would need to replace the ballast to make it work at home. At some point in time you won't be able to replace the fluorescent bulbs anyway, and in the meantime you put up with the occasional if not regular flickering and hum. And when it does flicker or hum, is it a bulb or the say $50 ballast? So eliminate the ballast completely, and in place of a heavy and expensive ballast, using the LED vernacular, you will use bulbs that have "drivers". The drivers serve in place of a ballast. I am in the process of converting nine 8' fluorescent fixtures in my shop to LED and although I was initially a little hesitant can tell you for certain that you won't regret it. If the bulbs in your fixture are T12, I believe that you will need to replace the tombstones with T8 ones, because I do not think that T12 LED tubes are available, but that will take all of a few minutes, and you will not lose anything as far as the amount and quality of light.
T8 and T12 use the same tombstones.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

rjniles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 03:54 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 312

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterII View Post
Maybe. Prices, circumstances, etc. vary of course, and maybe I'm getting a sweeter deal than I realized, but similar quality 8' fixtures would have easily cost me an additional $50 a piece more. With ten fixtures I considered that significant. And, in my case anyway, more than half the battle is moving equipment around in order to get a 12' step ladder or extension ladder set up in the right places, so an additional 10-15 minutes to convert them over is not too significant. So yeah, for one or two fixtures that are easy enough to reach, and if you have to spend much time finding the right kits and bulbs, maybe it makes sense to throw the old one away and buy a new one.

my response was intended for the OP....
KPDMinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 04:35 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjniles View Post
T8 and T12 use the same tombstones.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk
Thank you, I was thinking that some of them were the same, but my T12's are the spring loaded single center pin ones, and the LED bulbs I'm using are a two pin 1/4 turn. And my new LED bulbs are 4' whereas the original T12's were 8', so I needed to add tombstone in the middle anyway and the kits I'm using have all of that.
Old 03-08-2018, 04:40 PM   #13

Quote:
my response was intended for the OP....
No problem, I understand. A lot of choices, depending on circumstances, etc., which is why I ended with "maybe it makes sense to throw the old one away and buy a new one". Wasn't being sarcastic, because that really may be the right way to go in some cases. I guess my point OP is that you can't use it as is due to the ballast being wrong, so why spend any money for a ballast to make fluorescent bulbs work when you can invest somewhere in the same range to go with LED and be glad that you did.
KPDMinc likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement