Flickering Lights On Most Circuits - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-03-2010, 08:10 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Flickering Lights on most circuits

Over the summer I noticed that some of my lights were flickering, but it was just every now and then. Now, with the exception of a few circuits, all of the lights in my house flicker quite frequently, and you can also hear some noises inside of the panel.

I had an electrician come to the house and inspect my panel. He seems to think that the panel is fine and the problem is probably a loose connection somewhere in the house.

So here is my question. If there is a loose wire on a circuit and I shut power off to that circuit, would it still have an effect on other circuits?

Last night I shut off all but one circuit, and those lights were flickering. I then turned that circuit off, and turned one some others, but those ligths began to flicker as well.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.
dw1256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2010, 08:17 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 520

Quote:
Originally Posted by dw1256 View Post
Over the summer I noticed that some of my lights were flickering, but it was just every now and then. Now, with the exception of a few circuits, all of the lights in my house flicker quite frequently, and you can also hear some noises inside of the panel.

I had an electrician come to the house and inspect my panel. He seems to think that the panel is fine and the problem is probably a loose connection somewhere in the house.

So here is my question. If there is a loose wire on a circuit and I shut power off to that circuit, would it still have an effect on other circuits?

Last night I shut off all but one circuit, and those lights were flickering. I then turned that circuit off, and turned one some others, but those ligths began to flicker as well.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.
If you can hear some noises inside of the panel ? Was the electrican deaf ? or did the noise stop ? Their has to be something going on inside the panel ? Maybe a different electrican ? Don't give up

If he came out and left and it is still doing the same thing??? And no fix?? Time to call someone that know's someting .

Last edited by del schisler; 12-03-2010 at 08:39 AM.
del schisler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2010, 08:35 AM   #3
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 944

A loose connection will only affect the circuit it is on.
I would want more from any tradesman that came to my house and "thinks" something is good.

The electrician should know if the problem is in the panel, or from the power company side.
When you use the stove or dryer, does the flickering go away or stay the same?
jbfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2010, 08:38 AM   #4

I dont think that the stove or dryer have an impact. However, they are both gas so that could be why.
Old 12-03-2010, 08:47 AM   #5
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 944

Quote:
I dont think that the stove or dryer have an impact. However, they are both gas so that could be why.
Do you have any 240 volt loads?
jbfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 08:47 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 520

Quote:
If he came out and left and it is still doing the same thing??? And no fix?? Time to call someone that know's someting . Or call the company that he work's for and ask if 2 head's are better than one ? Maybe between the 2 or how ever many they their some one should be able to fix the problum. If some one have a good volt meter and start measuring voltage their should be some fluxing of voltage some where. Shouldn't be to hard to find. Sound's like all the light's are doing it ?? that would put me in the panel and look for a loose ground from the power comany feed. Now don't you mess with that It can kill you fast. but the voltage will be fluxing in their some where. May call the power company out now ?
del schisler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 09:00 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbfan View Post
Do you have any 240 volt loads?
No on the 240.
Old 12-03-2010, 09:00 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by del schisler View Post
If he came out and left and it is still doing the same thing??? And no fix?? Time to call someone that know's someting . Or call the company that he work's for and ask if 2 head's are better than one ? Maybe between the 2 or how ever many they their some one should be able to fix the problum. If some one have a good volt meter and start measuring voltage their should be some fluxing of voltage some where. Shouldn't be to hard to find. Sound's like all the light's are doing it ?? that would put me in the panel and look for a loose ground from the power comany feed. Now don't you mess with that It can kill you fast. but the voltage will be fluxing in their some where. May call the power company out now ?
I think I will be trying the power company today. Not sure how that will work out.
Old 12-03-2010, 12:09 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,394

Sounds like a loose connection. If power company comes up ok, then I"d call another electrician to come check the panel for a loose neutral or the main feeds since all circuits seem to be affected, not just one of them.
bob22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 07:01 AM   #10

So get this...

I had the power company come out and check their wiring. They said that the connection made from our wire to theirs was very poor. He went ahead and cut out the old connector and fixed the issue. The lights did not flicker for six days.

So what happens this morning? All of the lights start flicker again.

Does this make any sense?
Old 12-09-2010, 07:27 PM   #11
Journeyman Wireman

Rewards Points: 150

Did the power company also check their connections at the transformer that serves your house? You might be able to call customer service to see if anything is noted on the service dispatch.
Jupe Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 10:00 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 7,514

The noises are probably arcing from bad connections,
A serious problem that must be fixed.
Or the chance of fire are very real.
Open up your panel,
Wait for darkness, ( night ).
Get some one inside to turn on some large loads,
Look for blue flashs or sparks.
If its dark you will see them easier.

Quote:

Any thoughts?

Thanks.
dmxtothemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement