Fitting A Dimmer Switch - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-24-2010, 04:49 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

fitting a dimmer switch

hello and thanks for reading my post.im trying to fit a dimmer switch in the kitchen where there are 2 switches at either end of the room.the switch i want to replace has 2 red wires going in to no.2...2 red wires and 1 blue going into no.1...1 yellow wire going into the opposite end of the switch...the other switch in the kitchen has 1 red wire going onto no.1...1 blue wire going into no.2...1 yellow wire going into the opposite end of the switch....the dimmer switch im fitting has 3 terminals( L1,L2,X)...because the colours of the wires dont match what goes into no.1 and no.2,am i right to think i can put 2 red wires into L2...2 red wires 1 blue going into L1...and 1 yellow going into the x...hope this makes sense and someone can help me,thanks again jayh
jayh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2010, 01:04 AM   #2
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

If you are in Chicago area I will post the colour format which they used in their area.

This quote is from Oh'Mike { our forum member which he is famuair with Chicago codes }

Quote:
As the FrenchElectrician mentioned colors are a regional thing--I live in Illinois--these are customary here.
White-Neutral
Grey-Dedicated neutral for GFCI
red-black -blue--Power
Brown--travelers for three way
purple--GFCI protected power
yellow-orange---switch legs
{ In case you are doubt on this one hit this link }

Merci.
Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2010, 04:00 AM   #3

fitting a dimmer switch

sorry for any confusion,im in england,is it american only or are there all nationalities helping out on here.thanks again ,jayh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2010, 09:25 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,408

Jayh, I had a bit of difficulty following which switch was no.1 and no. 2 and the wires coming and going from each and which one was the one you wanted to replace.
bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 09:48 AM   #5

replacig a dimmer switch

the no"s 1 and 2 relate to the screw hole no"s on the inside of the sockets and not the 2 sockets either end of the kitchen,youll have to forgive me bob as im new to this. ...light switch A...the switch i want to replace has 2 red wires going in to no.2...2 red wires and 1 blue going into no.1...1 yellow wire going into the opposite end of the switch.....light switch B...1 red wire going onto no.1...1 blue wire going into no.2...1 yellow wire going into the opposite end of the switch...hope this clears things up and thanks for your time bob
Old 11-25-2010, 11:39 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
sorry for any confusion,im in england,is it american only or are there all nationalities helping out on here.thanks again
My perception is that most of us are US or Canadian. I have not noticed a lot of English electrical questions.
oberkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 12:40 AM   #7
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayh View Post
hello and thanks for reading my post.im trying to fit a dimmer switch in the kitchen where there are 2 switches at either end of the room.the switch i want to replace has 2 red wires going in to no.2...2 red wires and 1 blue going into no.1...1 yellow wire going into the opposite end of the switch...the other switch in the kitchen has 1 red wire going onto no.1...1 blue wire going into no.2...1 yellow wire going into the opposite end of the switch....the dimmer switch im fitting has 3 terminals( L1,L2,X)...because the colours of the wires dont match what goes into no.1 and no.2,am i right to think i can put 2 red wires into L2...2 red wires 1 blue going into L1...and 1 yellow going into the x...hope this makes sense and someone can help me,thanks again jayh
Ok take a cup of tea and relax I will describe the best I can due I live in France and the colour combation you have there is mixed bag of old code and modern codes.

Do you have two way switches there if so you have to find the shuttle { Travellers } useally they will be marked at the switch point.

And the way you describing you have double switch loops so they will be marked diffrent than what you have standard swtich points.

Normally If I do recall it correct the shuttles are sleeved conductors. { not always the case }

Can you run me the dimmer model number ?? Maybe I can able determed which setting you have.

Merci.
Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement