Finished Pulling And Ready To Wire It Up. Two Questions. - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-16-2010, 07:43 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Finished pulling and ready to wire it up. Two questions.

Small addition & attached garage. Went a bit overboard with fixtures & features. Have pulled the wire and mounted all boxes. Couple questions remain. (1) The wire-nut instructions say "no twisting necessary". I've found 14-2 not bad to twist, but 12-2 much tougher. Would you be comfortable not twisting the 12-2 splices or is that still the preferred method? (2) When running a series of outlets (non-gfic) are there required power in/load out terminals, or can you treat them as interchangeable? (FYI: garage receptacles are on a gfic breaker)
Mi Feller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2010, 07:53 PM   #2
nap
You talking to me?

Rewards Points: 6,290

you can twist if you want. A lot of people that use them, especially with solid wire, prefer to pre-twist the wire.

there is no in and out on a standard (non-gfci_ receptacle). If you will look closely, you will see that the two screw terminals are physically connected together right near where the wires attach.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nap For This Useful Post:
Mi Feller (07-16-2010)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2010, 08:26 PM   #3

Thanks again nap. BTW: your idea of putting a couple boards up to position that can worked like a piece of cake. RE: twisting: Got a foreboding job ahead of this weekend and the dry-wallers are about ready to go soon as I pass inspection. Guess I'll twist the 14-2 but not the 12-2, which should save a ton of time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2010, 08:27 PM   #4
Totally screwed together

Rewards Points: 250

1. I like to twist the nut until the wires themselves have at least one turn around eachother. One more layer of protection keeping them together.

2. Don't do In&Out with regular outlets. Instead, wire nut the Hots, Neutrals, and Grounds coming in and out together respectively, ALONG with an extra short length (10") that will go to the outlet. That way, if you have a wire slip off a screw on an outlet it won't result in anything odd except in that one outlet. Easier to stuff the outlet back in the hole with only one set of wires too.
xxPaulCPxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 08:36 PM   #5
nap
You talking to me?

Quote:
=xxPaulCPxx;470608]1. I like to twist the nut until the wires themselves have at least one turn around eachother. One more layer of protection keeping them together.
I believe that is actually in the directions for use on Ideal wiire nuts.

Quote:
2. Don't do In&Out with regular outlets. Instead, wire nut the Hots, Neutrals, and Grounds coming in and out together respectively, ALONG with an extra short length (10") that will go to the outlet. That way, if you have a wire slip off a screw on an outlet it won't result in anything odd except in that one outlet. Easier to stuff the outlet back in the hole with only one set of wires too.
pig-tailing and it is a good idea IMO. In some cases, it is actually required by code. When you have a MWBC, the connection cannot depend on the device so you must pigtail.

please don't ask me to cite the section. It is correct if my memory serves me well. If not and somebody wants to dispute it, I won't push back with an argument and citation. I could be wrong but I do not believe I am.

glad to hear the installation tips worked for you.
Old 07-16-2010, 09:19 PM   #6

Those are good ideas. However, my "wire guard" wire nuts just click if overtightened. I doubt the wire actually twists inside. Using pliers on the heavier wire is slow going. You prompted me to look up MWBC which I don't have thankfully. Here's what I did with the 20 amp non-gfic circuit off the sub panel in garage. 1. Hit a outlet in the house section; 2. a light switch in the house section; 3. a light switch in the garage section; 4. another outlet in the house section; 5. ending in garage to power door opener. In touch with local inspector and he's satisfied with using non gfic on the door opener, though latest NEC requires gfic here too. Hope this run sounds reasonable even if I decide to use the in and out terminals on the receptacles.
Old 07-16-2010, 11:41 PM   #7
Totally screwed together

Rewards Points: 250

I tighten about as far as I can by hand, then I grip the nut with pliars to get that extra grip needed to have the nut twist the wires.

nuts are clicking... what color wire nuts are you using?
xxPaulCPxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 11:43 PM   #8
nap
You talking to me?

clicking nuts? sounds like a personal problem

actually, sounds like 3M wirenuts. never cared for them, they click when you try to tighten them.
Old 07-17-2010, 06:36 AM   #9

Any suggestions on where to mount the opener outlet, since neither door nor opener have yet been installed? Door: 14w x 8H. Rafters are high at over 12'. Not familiar with these. Don't know if the opener will be attached to the 12' rafters or dropped down. How long a cord on these things? So far, have some 12-2 coming off last prior receptacle and coiled on garage wall near where opener will go. But, I'm thinking: if I could actually mount a box up there somewhere, the inspector might be willing to pass the rough inspection and allow me to move the box a little before he does the final.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement