A Few Basic Code Questions - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-12-2009, 03:29 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 500

a few basic code questions

Okay, heres the deal. I am on the board of directors and a dedicated volunteer for our local chapter of habitat for humanity.

up until now, the local high school trade students have been working on the electrical installation. 2 weeks ago a few eyebrows were raised by myself and the project manager regarding some of their work... a few examples wires staples too close to face of framing, garage light boxes setup for 1/2 drywall but 5/8 going in, lots of wires stuffed through a single hole and CATV and phone wires through same holes as high voltage.

I am not in any way claiming to be an expert, or even professional. but i have learned alot of codes from here and reading the code book. Tomorrow the project manager and myself are meeting with the teacher that oversees the electrical trade and I need a little re inforcement for my opinions.

my main concers are the number of wires running through a single hole

seperation between low voltage and high voltage wires

stapling (some come through a hole in the adjacent stud right to the box with no staple)

dryer, 2 wire or 3 wire required?

ive looked through the code, but cant find that stuff. im looking for specific chapters...

a few other thoughts: i think the reason they havent been on the jobsite is because another volunteer who knows the teacher overheard us talking about what was wrong and said they would mention it to them. they havent been back since. we had to shut down work last saturday because we cant proceed without a rough in inspection, but obviously cant get that until they finish/correct stuff. also the inspectors here let stuff that shouldn't slide, but i would rather do it the right way.

sorry for being long winded, but i would certainly appreciate any and all help.

Last edited by CowboyAndy; 10-12-2009 at 03:32 PM.
CowboyAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2009, 04:06 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

How many wire is "lots" I have up to 2 going through mine in my basement and passed no problem. The boxes in the garage should be ok. Thats no different than doing back splash and having the outlets spaced out a bit. you may need longer screws. As for the low voltage and power wires in the same hole if its only 1 hole then you should be ok. If it passes many then i personally would re-do it. You have the chance of getting interference.
baum is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2009, 04:10 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by baum View Post
How many wire is "lots" I have up to 2 going through mine in my basement and passed no problem. The boxes in the garage should be ok. Thats no different than doing back splash and having the outlets spaced out a bit. you may need longer screws. As for the low voltage and power wires in the same hole if its only 1 hole then you should be ok. If it passes many then i personally would re-do it. You have the chance of getting interference.

there are a few 5/8 holes with 3 wires, and a few 1" holes with 4 wires.

there 1 long run with 2 romex, 1 CATV and 1 phone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2009, 04:15 PM   #4
Licensed Pro

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowboyAndy View Post
there are a few 5/8 holes with 3 wires, and a few 1" holes with 4 wires. Not a problem.

there 1 long run with 2 romex, 1 CATV and 1 phone.
Not a violation, but should be separated.

Dryer should be 10/3 w/g. Been that way since 1996.

Stapling should be cleaned up to maintain proper spacing away from the face of the stud (1.25").
Old 10-12-2009, 07:26 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,000

Don't be concerned

The wiring is not separated inside the TV. Don't be concerned

stapling (some come through a hole in the adjacent stud right to the box with no staple)

I think people generally over staple but there shoud be one close to the box to hold the wire in place. My concern would be the over hammering of staples. It takes some finesse to make it tight enough without pinching the romex.

4 wire H,H,N,G

Ps. How is Stephanie?
220/221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 08:19 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 220/221 View Post

Don't be concerned

The wiring is not separated inside the TV. Don't be concerned

I think people generally over staple but there shoud be one close to the box to hold the wire in place. My concern would be the over hammering of staples. It takes some finesse to make it tight enough without pinching the romex.

4 wire H,H,N,G

Ps. How is Stephanie?
haha shes good! she is excited to get the house done, but like i mentioned before we have been idle because of the electrical. now you have to tell me who you are!

so do you get what im saying about the staples near boxes, as in where the wire comes through the floor, the from one box to the next theres not a single staple in the whole room...
Old 10-13-2009, 08:11 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 3,130

Quote:
Okay, heres the deal. I am on the board of directors and a dedicated volunteer for our local chapter of habitat for humanity.

up until now, the local high school trade students have been working on the electrical installation. 2 weeks ago a few eyebrows were raised by myself and the project manager regarding some of their work... a few examples wires staples too close to face of framing, garage light boxes setup for 1/2 drywall but 5/8 going in, lots of wires stuffed through a single hole and CATV and phone wires through same holes as high voltage.

I am not in any way claiming to be an expert, or even professional. but i have learned alot of codes from here and reading the code book. Tomorrow the project manager and myself are meeting with the teacher that oversees the electrical trade and I need a little re inforcement for my opinions.

ive looked through the code, but cant find that stuff. im looking for specific chapters...

a few other thoughts: i think the reason they havent been on the jobsite is because another volunteer who knows the teacher overheard us talking about what was wrong and said they would mention it to them. they havent been back since. we had to shut down work last saturday because we cant proceed without a rough in inspection, but obviously cant get that until they finish/correct stuff. also the inspectors here let stuff that shouldn't slide, but i would rather do it the right way.

sorry for being long winded, but i would certainly appreciate any and all help.
Interesting. My wife and I were Care-A-Vanners for a while and worked on several Habitat houses in a number of different states around the country. In no case were unlicensed volunteers allowed to do plumbing or electrical work.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 08:32 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by md2lgyk View Post
Interesting. My wife and I were Care-A-Vanners for a while and worked on several Habitat houses in a number of different states around the country. In no case were unlicensed volunteers allowed to do plumbing or electrical work.
in the state of ny, it varies by municipality, but here you dont have to be licensed for anything.
Old 10-13-2009, 08:35 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
in the state of ny, it varies by municipality, but here you dont have to be licensed for anything.
Where is "here" ?

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 09:18 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave View Post
Where is "here" ?
upstate, canadian border, franklin county... specifically the town of malone, ny.
Old 10-13-2009, 10:21 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 370

You would think with all the volunteers, you could find a master or contractor to keep check on the students. Or just someone who knows the code. If I were close enough to you, I would be glad to help. I am sure their are others that feel the same.

The students most likely got their feelings hurt when someone questioned their craftsmanship. My first stop would be to see them and let them know it's nothing personal and this type of work will always be under the microscope. SO GET USED TO IT! Or take wood shop instead.
Old 10-13-2009, 10:35 AM   #12

well, i have good news, i went to the house today and they were there working. i chatted up the teacher/leader about some of the issues that were pointed out, and he already knew about some of them, and was very willing to accept the fact that there were others. i can't blame the guy, hes got 12 kids to watch over... but on the same token thats his job! they will be wrapped up by the end of the week and have rough in inspection on friday.

i do appriciate all the help here. gotta be prepared for anything, ya know!

btw, he had no reason for not being there for a week and a half... just avoided the question when i asked him.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement