Feeding Surface Mount Receptacles Via Romex - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By rjniles

Old 04-25-2019, 11:14 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 78

Feeding surface mount receptacles via Romex

Hi All,

Just a sanity check here. I'm looking to add some additional outlets to my garage via a circuit that is fed with 12/2 romex.

Garage has two walls facing the living space and are finished with drywall. Remaining 2 walls are unfinished block to the outside.

The circuit i'm pulling from was originally supplying power to a whole house central vacuum, which is no long in place. Whomever did the work ran romex to one of the exterior walls, then did a straight drop down the block into a surface mount single gang box into which the vac was plugged.

I will be running conduit from the box around the room to provide additional power, but would like to remedy the current exposed-romex situation. I'll also be adding GFCI protection at this point to protect the rest of the receptacles.

Is the proper fix to surface mount a j-box at the ceiling where the romex exits, then run my THHN down via from there via conduit? Would a flush mount box be preferred?

Is there a conduit body style that can exit the ceiling drywall in which i can transition to THHN?

Looking for suggestions on the cleanest way to transition to 1/2" EMT from a romex feed originating in the ceiling.

Thanks!
alexjburkhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2019, 11:45 AM   #2
Property Mgt/Maint

Rewards Points: 6,240

Re: Feeding surface mount receptacles via Romex

from your existing ceiling box get a cover with a round knock out in it. Then use a 90 degree conduit adapter.
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2019, 11:47 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,234

Get a box extender and fasten to existing flush box. Then use one of the side knockouts to start the conduit run. Done all the time.
Attached Images

curiousB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2019, 11:48 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodaman View Post
from your existing ceiling box get a cover with a round knock out in it. Then use a 90 degree conduit adapter.
My apologies -- "straight drop" down from the ceiling may have insinuated there was an existing ceiling box -- there is not. Just 12-2 NM, presumably stapled to the joist, then snaked down through the ceiling drywall.
Old 04-25-2019, 11:52 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,234

then mounts an octagon box to the ceiling. Use the center knockout in the back of the box to put a NM connector to fasten the existing cable. Then run conduit out the side knockouts.
curiousB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 12:21 PM   #6
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 388

Just pull the existing Romex into a conduit sleeve to the box. I would replace the existing single gang with s 4" to prove room for splicing.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

rjniles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 12:56 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjniles View Post
Just pull the existing Romex into a conduit sleeve to the box. I would replace the existing single gang with s 4" to prove room for splicing.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk
Forgive my ignorance. I was under the impression that NM wasn't allowed to be run in conduit, but in truth, i don't know what i'm talking about. I can't say i can picture how i'd secure at the ceiling joint, either, unless maybe i just extend the conduit through the ceiling drywall so nothing is exposed.

As long as i'm going to be in there, I think i'll likely mount a junction box and be done with it. Seems to be the most appropriate solution, with really no extra effort.

thanks, all.
Old 04-25-2019, 01:18 PM   #8
Super Moderator

Rewards Points: 22,652

It is not permitted in a complete conduit system, box at both ends. However with an open end conduit is considered a sleeve for protection and is permitted. So run the NM down the wall into the box and transition to THHN for the rest of the conduit system.
joed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 01:22 PM   #9
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 388

Quote:
Originally Posted by joed View Post
It is not permitted in a complete conduit system, box at both ends. However with an open end conduit is considered a sleeve for protection and is permitted. So run the NM down the wall into the box and transition to THHN for the rest of the conduit system.
If the poster is in the US, the NEC allows Romex in any dry location conduit system.
jbfan and mpoulton like this.

rjniles is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement