Fan Switch Affects TV - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By chandler48
  • 1 Post By LawnGuyLandSparky
  • 1 Post By Burpclotg

Old 08-20-2019, 03:09 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Fan Switch Affects TV

Hello - I have a TV mounted above the fireplace that used to work fine when we lived in another location. Since moving a few years ago, it became unreliable in that it does not always turn on on the first attempt - and it also lost its WiFi connectivity (I've tried and tried, including a factory reset, but it seems something is wrong with the hardware - it's not detecting any networks at all.) I've drawn the conclusion that there may be internal damage as a result of a power spike or similar phenomenon related to the following issue:

There is a ceiling fan mounted in front of the TV. Most of the time when I turn off power to the ceiling fan, the TV momentarily flashes off, then comes back on. I made a brief video to demonstrate the issue - https://youtu.be/Cvt4rnEPajI... Any guidance on what may be causing this would be appreciated. I'm assuming that our TV will be this way until we replace it, but I want to make sure my wiring is OK before buying a new TV and screwing that one up too. Thanks!
Burpclotg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2019, 03:25 PM   #2
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 4,290

Re: Fan Switch Affects TV

How far away is your router? I would remove the switch and cap the wires temporarily to see if the fan is the problem. Does the fan have a remote control feature?
lenaitch likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2019, 03:35 PM   #3
Usually Confused

Rewards Points: 2,192

Home layout can affect wi-fi performance; things like a fridge in the path (we had this), wall construction, other devices, etc. You could try moving the router or look into a repeater/expander. You don't make it clear if the issue is with the tv or its remote. They do crap out (repeated dropping doesn't help ).
If the fan has a remote they could be conflicting. The fan might be emitting an RF hum but I'd try the easier stuff first.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2019, 05:01 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,220

Do you use a remote to turn the fan on and off? If it is an IR remote, it's possible that the TV sees the IR light pulses as an off-on sequence.

One way to test for this would be to locate the IR sensor on the TV and place a piece of black electrical tape over it. Then turn the fan off and see if the problem is still there.
RAL238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 05:33 PM   #5

Sorry, folks, I was not very clear in how I laid out my original post. The core issue I want to address is an apparent electrical wiring issue. When you turn off the fan, it causes the TV to briefly go black and a moment later the screen comes back to life. This is definitely not supposed to happen. My question is: What do you think the most likely causes of something like this would be? We bought our house a few years ago, and I think the switch, TV outlet, and fan were all part a remodel project - so I have no insight as to who wired it, etc.

The fan switch is hard wired - there is no remote control. This is not at all a remote control issue (pushing the power button on the TV itself does not help.) The router is probably about 10 feet away, albeit in a neighboring room. But again, I'm pretty much convinced that this is permanent hardware damage to the TV, and would like to address the underlying electrical wiring issue.

I hope this clarifies the issue, and feel free to watch my 1 minute video for a quick demonstration of what I'm talking about -
Old 08-20-2019, 05:58 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 3,468

Plug something like a lamp into the TV outlet and test again. If the lamp is unaffected when switching the fan, drop the fan canopy and describe the wiring in there.
Burpclotg likes this.
LawnGuyLandSparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 06:30 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnGuyLandSparky View Post
Plug something like a lamp into the TV outlet and test again. If the lamp is unaffected when switching the fan, drop the fan canopy and describe the wiring in there.
Good advice. I actually did this in the past, in an effort to troubleshoot the same issue. I noticed some of the wires were not connected as I would have expected, which I corrected. (I've wired many fans and light fixtures myself.) This seemed to have little effect on the problem though. Given the tall ceiling and heavy fan (and that I think I already addressed this aspect) any other ideas before I try that one? Not at all trying to discount your advice - I'd just like to explore easier potential fixes before trying that one. Thanks!
Old 08-20-2019, 06:52 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 222

One thing I'll add that I find odd is how quick the picture comes back. All of my tvs take a couple of seconds to turn back on. How is the content being delivered - streaming, sat, cable, over the air antenna? I can't see a power light from the distance to see if the picture is actually cutting out vs tv turning off. Open a menu on the tv to check that easily.
Fish_Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fish_Stick For This Useful Post:
Burpclotg (08-20-2019)
Old 08-20-2019, 07:21 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish_Stick View Post
One thing I'll add that I find odd is how quick the picture comes back. All of my tvs take a couple of seconds to turn back on. How is the content being delivered - streaming, sat, cable, over the air antenna? I can't see a power light from the distance to see if the picture is actually cutting out vs tv turning off. Open a menu on the tv to check that easily.
That was an excellent suggestion. As it turns out, the TV menu stays on solid. The TV receives a signal from the Verizon FiOS box. When I turn on the Verizon FiOS menu and flip the fan switch off, the menu does disappear. So, the issue right now must be at the outlet with the cable box. Thanks!
Fish_Stick likes this.
Old 08-20-2019, 09:23 PM   #10

Update: Simply plugging in a "Ground & Outlet Tester" in the same outlet as the cable box causes the cable box to stop sending a signal to the TV. Any new thoughts?
Old 08-20-2019, 09:34 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 3,468

Where is the cable box plugged in, in relation to the switch for the fan? Are they on the same circuit.
LawnGuyLandSparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 09:40 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnGuyLandSparky View Post
Where is the cable box plugged in, in relation to the switch for the fan? Are they on the same circuit.
Same circuit breaker - yes. Same circuit, as in one switch to affect operation of both the cable box outlet and fan - no.
Old 08-21-2019, 12:53 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 2,474

Does the same thing happen if you a watching an "off air" signal from a TV antenna?

I suggest that you try suitably sized snap-on Ferrite Beads on any and all of the cables going to and from the TV and the Verizon FiOS box, including the power cables.
(https://www.amazon.com/slp/ferrite-bead/yfrvazvaeq9v4nz)

However, I must ask
"Is it normal for the TV image to take several seconds to 'settle down' to proper colour rendition each time the picture comes "on" - as this TV is doing?"
FrodoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 02:25 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 734

Turning off fan gives a small power surge to FIOS box. Seems tv used to be 'smart' in that it picked up wifi previously but doesn't any longer. If the main FIOS gateway feeds a wired CAT5 network in your home, maybe hardwire tv to a CAT5 input if tv has one?
Alternately, by adding a smart box like Roku to tv, Roku's wifi will make it smart again.
diyorpay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement