Energy Saver On Water Heater - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-05-2010, 03:00 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

energy saver on water heater

Water heater hass an energy saver mounted on top. (Whirlpool) The lead wires are fried. I can't seem to locate this item. The only name on the unit is "energy saver" google search for energy saver opens up hundreds of items from solar heaters to demand and on and on. Anybody know where or who sells them? Thanks????
jhowd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2010, 03:58 PM   #2

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,716

There should a metal plate lower on the heater that gives the make, model and serial number. If you are good at puzzles, you can also find the approximate manufacturing time, although they can sit in a warehouse for up to 2 years before it is actually put in service.

The paper label in yellow and black is just for customer "comfort" to tell them something.

Dick
concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2010, 07:05 PM   #3
I=E/R

Rewards Points: 1,000

What do you know about the operation of this energy saver? Is it a mechanical timer that is set to interrupt power to the heater during certain times? Some utility companies will install disconnects so they can cut it off during peak loads and in turn, give you break on power cost.
a7ecorsair is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2010, 10:06 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by a7ecorsair View Post
What do you know about the operation of this energy saver? Is it a mechanical timer that is set to interrupt power to the heater during certain times? Some utility companies will install disconnects so they can cut it off during peak loads and in turn, give you break on power cost.
To be honest... I have no idea how the "energy saver" works. No electrical schematic or diagram. I have power (240v) to the device, oddly I have power to the heat elements (2 elements) both sides of the elements are hot which would indidcate the elements are not fried or broken. Not my heater im trying to help a friend. I told him to check the waranty as the water heater is about a year old, and I could void any waranty. This thing looks like an add on device but it came from the dealer mounted. I can't seem to find anything about this thing on line. I have seen it on 3 other water heaters. Any way thanks for the help. I am old school use to be just hook up wires and a ground but not anymore.
Old 09-06-2010, 10:19 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by concretemasonry View Post
There should a metal plate lower on the heater that gives the make, model and serial number. If you are good at puzzles, you can also find the approximate manufacturing time, although they can sit in a warehouse for up to 2 years before it is actually put in service.

The paper label in yellow and black is just for customer "comfort" to tell them something.

Dick
Preciate the info Dick, The "energy saver'' looks like an add on device and not original equip. Hard to tell what it was suposed to do, wires were melted together, no wiring diagram or schematic. I am a master plumber, and have electrical contractors license but old school. Use to be just hook up the wires and go. I miss the old days when if you lost your phone all ya had to do was follow the wire an there it was. Thanks
Old 09-06-2010, 12:01 PM   #6

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,716

My error. I was thinking it was the usual energy guide that is on all appliances and not a separate attachment. I have an "energy saver" supplied by the utility to control my air conditioner. I get a discount and do not even know it is there.

I am also "old-school" (just turned 70) and solved the lost phone problem. I got rid of my land line and am exclusively cell phone. Getting into the habit of keeping it on me took a few changes in habits, but it is now much easier since I do not have to move around or run up the stairs for peddler selling something.. - I hate wires!
concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to concretemasonry For This Useful Post:
jhowd (09-07-2010)
Old 09-06-2010, 01:02 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,068

I have a whirlpool HWH energy saver built in .. came with it ..electronic..
it's about 7 years old knock on wood no problems I have heard they are a real pain if something goes wrong. You have to call Whirlpool for parts.

Good luck and post back to let us know what happened. I think I'll go with straight electric hookup on my next one.
COLDIRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 03:16 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,800

How is it wired to the heater and to the electrical system?

Would you post a picture of it?
Old 09-06-2010, 06:34 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,005

i would contact the electrical company, if it is an add-on, it is likely installed by them to control on/off times, especially if there is a phone line or other communication line going to it.
TimPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 06:26 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 2,068

Here is a picture of the Whirpool Electric HWH Energy Saver control that came with the HWH. The wiring is 220 V 30 amp line in no other info on unit.
Attached Images

COLDIRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 10:38 AM   #11
zpm
yeah, right

Rewards Points: 75

That's part of the water heater.

This PDF shows the same box on page 8.
http://www.whirlpoolwaterheatersuppo...ds/6510306.pdf

Thurman had a problem with it last year.
http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/whirl...problem-58578/

Last edited by zpm; 09-07-2010 at 10:39 AM. Reason: fixed link
zpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 11:08 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 2,800

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowd View Post
Water heater hass an energy saver mounted on top. (Whirlpool) The lead wires are fried.????
Does the water heater still work?

XXXX Does the energy saver come off without too much effort or unscrewing? Can you see how many wires there are running between it and the heater? XXXX

The Whirlpool's energy saver box contains the switching between the lower element and the upper element. On "traditional" electric water heaters the switching is done in the thermostats down on the side of the tank.

Last edited by AllanJ; 09-07-2010 at 10:58 PM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement