Electricity Hates Me! - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree6Likes
  • 3 Post By hkstroud
  • 1 Post By Mystriss
  • 2 Post By MrElectricianTV
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes
Old 06-12-2019, 02:21 PM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 5
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Electricity Hates Me!


I have a 4 foot 2 tube fluorescent light fixture in the laundry room. One of the tubes recently stopped working so I decided to replace both with LED lights. Put 2 new tubes in, now when I turn the light on sometimes they'll "flicker" like the old fluorescent tubes, before coming to full brightness, sometimes they won't! Sometimes they don't seem to come to full brightness.

Problem #2. Yesterday vacuumed the floor in the laundry room, and had plugged the vacuum into the outlet in the room. Normally it's plugged in at an outlet outside the room. Turned the vacuum on and the ceiling light became a flashing light!

2 Questions: 1. Does the light fixture have to have florescent tubes in it not the LEDs? 2. Why would the light flash from the vacuum being plugged in to the outlet in the room but not another outlet outside the room.
OldernDirt*728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-12-2019, 02:44 PM   #2
Member
 
hkstroud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Virginia
Posts: 2,997
Rewards Points: 5,976
Default

Re: Electricity Hates Me!


Quote:
1. Does the light fixture have to have florescent tubes in it not the LEDs?
Yes. You must either use regular florescent bulbs or change the ballast in the fixture.
If you are going to change the ballast you may as well just change the fixture. LED save you money but the light in a laundry room should not be turned on very much. You will be dead before you get your money back.
de-nagorg, Bud9051 and Mystriss like this.
__________________
Harold,
The Left Handed Widget Maker
hkstroud is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-12-2019, 04:08 PM   #3
Member
 
Mystriss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Alaska
Posts: 1,687
Rewards Points: 3,370
Default

Re: Electricity Hates Me!


We tried to switch over the tubes in our kitchen to LED's and they just wouldn't work with the light fixtures we had - did sort of the same thing as yours did. We're replacing them with flat panel LED's.
de-nagorg likes this.
__________________

(I'm not a professional, just a homeowner who dabbles in a bit of everything DIY)
Mystriss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-12-2019, 04:10 PM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,035
Rewards Points: 2,076
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Re: Electricity Hates Me!


Quote:
Originally Posted by OldernDirt*728 View Post
I have a 4 foot 2 tube fluorescent light fixture in the laundry room. One of the tubes recently stopped working so I decided to replace both with LED lights. Put 2 new tubes in, now when I turn the light on sometimes they'll "flicker" like the old fluorescent tubes, before coming to full brightness, sometimes they won't! Sometimes they don't seem to come to full brightness.

Problem #2. Yesterday vacuumed the floor in the laundry room, and had plugged the vacuum into the outlet in the room. Normally it's plugged in at an outlet outside the room. Turned the vacuum on and the ceiling light became a flashing light!

2 Questions: 1. Does the light fixture have to have florescent tubes in it not the LEDs? 2. Why would the light flash from the vacuum being plugged in to the outlet in the room but not another outlet outside the room.
As HK said, the ballast may be bad. I have always been skeptical about replacing fluorescent tubes with LED tubes that run off the ballast. The ballast could still go bad. I think it is better to remove the ballast and use non-ballast LED tubes. For that work, you might as well change the whole fixture.

The outlet in the room is probably on the same circuit as the light.
SPS-1 and de-nagorg like this.
__________________
John Grabowski

MrElectrician.TV
MrElectricianTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 10:09 PM   #5
Member
 
dmxtothemax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Brisbane, Australia.
Posts: 5,277
Rewards Points: 7,514
Default

Re: Electricity Hates Me!


You clearly did not find and correct the original fault that caused all this stir,
All you did was take a stab in the dark that it was the ballast.
Sounds like a loose splice somewhere Or a faulty tombstone
dmxtothemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 10:02 AM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,035
Rewards Points: 2,076
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Re: Electricity Hates Me!


Quote:
Originally Posted by dmxtothemax View Post
You clearly did not find and correct the original fault that caused all this stir,
All you did was take a stab in the dark that it was the ballast.
Sounds like a loose splice somewhere Or a faulty tombstone
Those are possibilities. Another one is that he did not install the bulbs correctly. I have seen that a few times, one pin hanging out, or the bulb not fully rotated into the socket.
__________________
John Grabowski

MrElectrician.TV
MrElectricianTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Top of Page | View New Posts