Electricity Hates Me! - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree6Likes
  • 3 Post By hkstroud
  • 1 Post By Mystriss
  • 2 Post By MrElectricianTV

Old 06-12-2019, 02:21 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Electricity Hates Me!

I have a 4 foot 2 tube fluorescent light fixture in the laundry room. One of the tubes recently stopped working so I decided to replace both with LED lights. Put 2 new tubes in, now when I turn the light on sometimes they'll "flicker" like the old fluorescent tubes, before coming to full brightness, sometimes they won't! Sometimes they don't seem to come to full brightness.

Problem #2. Yesterday vacuumed the floor in the laundry room, and had plugged the vacuum into the outlet in the room. Normally it's plugged in at an outlet outside the room. Turned the vacuum on and the ceiling light became a flashing light!

2 Questions: 1. Does the light fixture have to have florescent tubes in it not the LEDs? 2. Why would the light flash from the vacuum being plugged in to the outlet in the room but not another outlet outside the room.
OldernDirt*728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2019, 02:44 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 5,976

Re: Electricity Hates Me!

Quote:
1. Does the light fixture have to have florescent tubes in it not the LEDs?
Yes. You must either use regular florescent bulbs or change the ballast in the fixture.
If you are going to change the ballast you may as well just change the fixture. LED save you money but the light in a laundry room should not be turned on very much. You will be dead before you get your money back.
de-nagorg, Bud9051 and Mystriss like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2019, 04:08 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 3,370

We tried to switch over the tubes in our kitchen to LED's and they just wouldn't work with the light fixtures we had - did sort of the same thing as yours did. We're replacing them with flat panel LED's.
de-nagorg likes this.

(I'm not a professional, just a homeowner who dabbles in a bit of everything DIY)
Mystriss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2019, 04:10 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,076

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldernDirt*728 View Post
I have a 4 foot 2 tube fluorescent light fixture in the laundry room. One of the tubes recently stopped working so I decided to replace both with LED lights. Put 2 new tubes in, now when I turn the light on sometimes they'll "flicker" like the old fluorescent tubes, before coming to full brightness, sometimes they won't! Sometimes they don't seem to come to full brightness.

Problem #2. Yesterday vacuumed the floor in the laundry room, and had plugged the vacuum into the outlet in the room. Normally it's plugged in at an outlet outside the room. Turned the vacuum on and the ceiling light became a flashing light!

2 Questions: 1. Does the light fixture have to have florescent tubes in it not the LEDs? 2. Why would the light flash from the vacuum being plugged in to the outlet in the room but not another outlet outside the room.
As HK said, the ballast may be bad. I have always been skeptical about replacing fluorescent tubes with LED tubes that run off the ballast. The ballast could still go bad. I think it is better to remove the ballast and use non-ballast LED tubes. For that work, you might as well change the whole fixture.

The outlet in the room is probably on the same circuit as the light.
SPS-1 and de-nagorg like this.

MrElectrician.TV
MrElectricianTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 10:09 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 7,514

You clearly did not find and correct the original fault that caused all this stir,
All you did was take a stab in the dark that it was the ballast.
Sounds like a loose splice somewhere Or a faulty tombstone
dmxtothemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 10:02 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,076

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmxtothemax View Post
You clearly did not find and correct the original fault that caused all this stir,
All you did was take a stab in the dark that it was the ballast.
Sounds like a loose splice somewhere Or a faulty tombstone
Those are possibilities. Another one is that he did not install the bulbs correctly. I have seen that a few times, one pin hanging out, or the bulb not fully rotated into the socket.

MrElectrician.TV
MrElectricianTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement