Electrical Wiring Help - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Wiredindallas

Old 06-25-2019, 01:55 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2

Electrical wiring help

Hello everyone!

I’m In the process of finishing my basement and have installed some recessed lights that are currently wired to a dimmer switch. It is wired correctly and works fine but now I actually want to move the location of that dimmer switch about 5ft across the wall closer to the door/entrance to make it more practical. Where the dimmer switch is currently located I would want to use that box as receptacle now. So what I’m trying to get at is how do I go about the wiring to move my dimmer switch across the wall and adding the receptacle to the original dimmer switch location?

Any info appreciated!

Thanks
Felix
KingFelix is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2019, 02:14 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 18

Re: Electrical wiring help

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingFelix View Post
Hello everyone!

Im In the process of finishing my basement and have installed some recessed lights that are currently wired to a dimmer switch. It is wired correctly and works fine but now I actually want to move the location of that dimmer switch about 5ft across the wall closer to the door/entrance to make it more practical. Where the dimmer switch is currently located I would want to use that box as receptacle now. So what Im trying to get at is how do I go about the wiring to move my dimmer switch across the wall and adding the receptacle to the original dimmer switch location?

Any info appreciated!

Thanks

Felix
First, you have to determine if you have incoming power at the dimmer box. If you do, it is fairly easy to accomplish. Have you pulled the dimmer switch yet? What colors are the house wires that are connected to the dimmer?

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk
jeffmattero76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2019, 02:18 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 58

If both the hot and neutral are present in the current dimmer box, run a 3 conductor wire from the original box to the new dimmer location. Put all white wires together and feed receptacle, put the hot into the 1st box and the black to the new box together and feed the receptacle, and make up the red wire to the new new box with the switch leg black (going to the light) in the 1st box.
Simply put, run 120 volts to both boxes and bring the switch leg back from the new box on the red wirw made up to the wire to the light in the original dimmer box (kept separate from all other wires and receptacle).
MrElectricianTV likes this.
Wiredindallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2019, 05:08 PM   #4

Here is a picture of how the dimmer box currently looks. Hoping I attached the picture correctly..
Attached Thumbnails
Electrical wiring help-09eea7fb-506d-4da1-b598-864d7227588f_1561500351133.jpg  
Old 06-25-2019, 05:21 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiredindallas View Post
If both the hot and neutral are present in the current dimmer box, run a 3 conductor wire from the original box to the new dimmer location. Put all white wires together and feed receptacle, put the hot into the 1st box and the black to the new box together and feed the receptacle, and make up the red wire to the new new box with the switch leg black (going to the light) in the 1st box.
Simply put, run 120 volts to both boxes and bring the switch leg back from the new box on the red wirw made up to the wire to the light in the original dimmer box (kept separate from all other wires and receptacle).
Do you mind explaining this a little further? I understood the first part but couldn’t follow towards the end. Thank you for taking the time to explain it in such detail!
Old 06-25-2019, 07:40 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 18

Do you have any testing equipment? You can buy a neon test lite for a couple of dollars.

In the meantime, with the circuit off, pull the wires out of the box, so we can see which wires are connected together.

jeffmattero76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 01:05 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmattero76 View Post
Do you have any testing equipment? You can buy a neon test lite for a couple of dollars.

In the meantime, with the circuit off, pull the wires out of the box, so we can see which wires are connected together.

Yea I have the test lite and basic electrical tools. Here are some better pictures with the wires pulled out
Attached Thumbnails
Electrical wiring help-1260e13f-1ca0-458c-b381-8e1b8701e893_1561572249040.jpg   Electrical wiring help-f76d60bd-110d-46aa-a83a-cff46fcf0a27_1561572267200.jpg  
Old 06-26-2019, 01:10 PM   #8
Super Moderator

Rewards Points: 23,444

Since all switches now require a neutral by code run a 14/3 cable from the existing box to the new location.
At the old box.
Connect the new cable black to the bundle of 3 blacks. Remove the black going to the dimmer.
Connect the new cable red to single black going to the dimmer
Connect the white to the white bundle.

For the receptacle connect to the black bundle and white bundle using pgtails.
Ignore the existing red. We don't know what it does and don't need it.

At the new switch connect the black and red to the switch and cap the white.
joed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 02:03 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by joed View Post
Since all switches now require a neutral by code run a 14/3 cable from the existing box to the new location.
At the old box.
Connect the new cable black to the bundle of 3 blacks. Remove the black going to the dimmer.
Connect the new cable red to single black going to the dimmer
Connect the white to the white bundle.

For the receptacle connect to the black bundle and white bundle using pgtails.
Ignore the existing red. We don't know what it does and don't need it.

At the new switch connect the black and red to the switch and cap the white.
Thank you for the detailed explanation!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement