Electrical Upgrade - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By brric

Old 05-21-2017, 08:32 PM   #1

Electrical upgrade

Hello all. Newbie here. I have some questions I was hoping someone here could answer for me. Please excuse me if I make things confusing but I'll try my best to be clear. Anyway, here's what I have...

I have a small house that I'm remodeling and the electrical is in bad need of updating. I'm on a budget so I'm trying to do as much as I can myself. What I want to do is upgrade to 200 amps from the old 100 amp fuse panel. I kinda know where im at here and will probably just have an electrical contractor take care of this when my budget allows but what I would like to do is go ahead and pull all of the interior circuits prior to doing so I can go ahead and finish up all of my other interior work.

Right now I'm just wandering if I shouldn't just go ahead and install a new 100 amp panel and then do the 200 amp later on. The reason for this is I'm going to have to move the location of my meter because it's not up to code and once I have them pull the meter that's it. I need to keep power while I do the other work that I can do as my budget allows.

So my questions are. Since I have to move the panel regardless. Can I temporarily put a outside main disconnect and feed the service wire from the meter in conduit to where my new meter base will eventually be installed and through to the new panel location, put in a new 100 amp panel and complete all of my interior work without there being any issues with an inspection once I upgrade to a 200 amp meter base and panel? Just trying to get things done asbi go without it killing my pocket too much at once.

The only big concern I see myself is to install the outside main I'd have to disconnect the feed wire from the panel on the wall in the bathroom behind it and feed it back out side though the wall to the disconnect.

Also, just curious. Most of the walls inside the house are covered and some aren't. I'm concerned that once I pull a permit when i upgrade my panel and have an inspection that the inspector may have issue with me feeding wire through the walls without him being able to inspect them. I just don't want to have to tear down any more interior walls just so he can see the wires. That's why I was thinking to just put in a new 100 amp panel, get everything completed and covered up then later on all I would need to do is have the power co run a new line to the new meter base location and install a new 200 amp meterbase and panel.

Think that covers it all. Hope i didn't make it too confusing. I'd appreciate any suggestions and comments. Thanks!
leadhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2017, 08:52 PM   #2
Property Mgt/Maint

Rewards Points: 6,884

Re: Electrical upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadhead View Post
Hope i didn't make it too confusing. I'd appreciate any suggestions and comments. Thanks!

It is a little confusing, but it is way more complicated than need be.
Your order of operations make little sense. One of the first things I do when remodeling a whole house is get the new service in place. Then tie in the new circuits as needed. Why do it twice? And purchasing two main panels?
Yodaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2017, 09:14 PM   #3

Thanks for the comments and info. I see where you're coming from with just going ahead and installing the new service and completely understand that's the best route to go but because of cost I'm just doing a little at a time. Since the meterbase is gonna have to be moved when I do upgrade to 200 amps that puts me having the power company either come out and trench in for new underground service, or install a new pole so I can put it where it is up to code. Since I'm doing it as i have the extra money and really need to get the panel out of the bathroom. I was thinking of just doing it like I'd metioned. I may just have to bite the bullet and get a loan and go ahead and just have the new service installed first like I really should. I was just hoping to get as much as I could done as my budget allows.
leadhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2017, 07:50 AM   #4
Property Mgt/Maint

Rewards Points: 6,884

Have you contacted your poco and asked about upgrading? They normally will send out a field eng. and tell you where they want the new meter along with any additional cost that might be your responsibility.
Yodaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 08:04 AM   #5
Master Electrician

Rewards Points: 5,120

There is no need to use a new 100 amp panel. Purchase a new 200 amp panel. Install it in its permanent location, feed it with 100 amps, continue with the work until the time you can feed the panel with the new 200 amp service.
Yodaman likes this.
brric is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement