Electrical Tape ?? - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-27-2010, 10:55 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Electrical Tape ??

Hi newbie here with a question that I can't seem to find a good answer to. I recently wall mounted a flat screen tv and needed to add an outlet behind the tv so i wasn't running a cord through the wall. Luckly there was an outlet right below so I put a new box between that outlet and the supply dropping from the ceiling. Problem was, there was not much slack at all in the wire. Appears to be fastened in several places to the stud and I cannot reach it. I extended it with some 14 gauge romex but found it was very difficult to create a junction in the gang box with wire nuts and had to tape the connections. I used super 33 and the tape is in the box, but makes me nervous as I like to do things right. So, this will be a temporary solution. Any better ideas? Id like to run some new wire fromt the existing outlet but is already powering a third outlet on the same circuit. Thanks in advance for any advice.
xbcl002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2010, 06:19 AM   #2
Retired Moderator

Rewards Points: 7,174

You did that the hard way------------

You need 5 to 6 inches if wire sticking out past the face of the box---I suggest that you run a new lead down to the box below so you can get a safe installation without taped splices inside the box.

Let's see what Nap or one of the sparkys have to say---Mike---
oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2010, 07:00 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

NEVER ever, any splice joints outside of an electical box!!! The simplest thing would have been to splice a new piece of romex at the original box, then run that up(inside the wall) to a new oldwork box behind the TV.
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2010, 07:28 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,800

Simply twisting wires together does not make an acceptable connection. So the number of uses for electrical tape in lieu of wire nuts is extremely limited.

Electrical tape is often used to cover a soldered splice.

Electrical tape is occasionally used to cover bare wire protruding from a wire nut although some folks consider it sloppy to have the bare wire protruding in the first place.
Old 11-28-2010, 09:49 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
NEVER ever, any splice joints outside of an electical box!!! The simplest thing would have been to splice a new piece of romex at the original box, then run that up(inside the wall) to a new oldwork box behind the TV.

Thanks for all the replies. I wanted to run some new romex from the existing outlet but it already was supplying another outlet on the other side of the wall somewhere and I couldn't follow it to come off of that one. I will prob call and electrician and have them drop some new wire.
xbcl002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 10:45 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 150

If the lower (existing) box is deep enough there's nothing wrong with tapping from it.

First obtain two short (6" works) jumper wires (pigtails, actually, but my brain thinks electronics, and I'm calling them jumpers!) - one black, one white. Remove one pair of wires from the screws on the existing outlet. Use wirenuts to attach the jumpers, the wires you removed, and the new wires (to the outlet above) together. Now attach the other ends of the jumpers to the screw terminals on the outlet.
emolatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement