Electrical Problem - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-22-2010, 10:21 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Electrical problem

My brother in law lives in a mobile home. The other day the furnace, hot water tank and stove all quit working. These are all 220 lines. I checked each hot wire individually and they are all 110 volts which, so no issue with the power from the electric co. The other strange thing about this is when I unhooked one side of the line going to the hotwater tank the lights in went out, the breaker is not double tapped and the line from the breaker panel to the hotwater tank is direct. My only guess as to the problem is that the neutral going back out to the street is cut. Does this make sense? One other thing I thought was odd and I don't know if this has something to do with mobile homes, but there is no grounding rod. Outside of the mobile home there is a junction box where the lines from the meter are connected to the lines from the house. At this point the neutral and ground are connected together and go back to the meter box.
robskagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2010, 10:29 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

what lights went out?

single phase utility power is H--(110)--N--(110)--H .. between the two hot legs you get 220. It sounds like one side of the 220 leg is broken, or somehow you managed to get the same 110 feeding both sides of the panel.

Can you (safely) verify that you have 110v between each hot and neutral, and 220v between the two hot legs at the panel?
mindcandy30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2010, 10:30 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 308

You are checking it wrong. Check the the two hots together not individually. Look for 230 -240 volts. Do this at the disconnect outside the mobile home. If you have 240 volts across the two main wires entering, check each one to the neutral for 120 volts.

Check the line side and the load side of the disconnect.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement