Electrical - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-29-2010, 06:09 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

electrical

built addition to house.all open .need 6000watts of heat on one low voltage thermostat.Put relays by panel. What is the best way to do it?
kcleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2010, 08:11 PM   #2
I=E/R

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcleary View Post
built addition to house.all open .need 6000watts of heat on one low voltage thermostat.Put relays by panel. What is the best way to do it?
Do you have relays that have a coil voltage of 24V AC? Do the relays support 30A resistive load? Is the relay a double pole relay?
In my house the relays are mounted inside the circuit breaker panel and the thermostat wire runs to this relay.
a7ecorsair is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2010, 12:41 AM   #3
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

I will make it quick and simple .,

You will need.,

24 volt transfomer IIRC 60 VA size( 40VA is bare bone minuim size if you only have one relay ) { do not use standard door bell transfomer it may not have enough wattage to pull the relay in.

6X6X6 steel or plastique junction box { it should be big enough to get the relay fit in other wise some relay will slip thru the half inch KO's then change the box size to 4X4X2 1/8.

Normally I rather keep the relays next to the panel so it easier to find it when you have issue with the relay[s].

But I know some case you may find 30amp rated line voltage thermosat that will work equally well { sometime it will be cheaper and quicker than use the low voltage thermosat plus relay } but check out the price on them.

Merci.
Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement