Electric Cooktop Partially Heating - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-03-2010, 11:01 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Electric Cooktop partially heating

I had to disconnect my cooktop, but after reconnecting it, the burners partially heat. They never get red hot anymore. From the house's electrical conduit I have a black wire-with red markings, a solid black wire, and a whitish color wire.

I connected the black-red marking wire to the red wire on the cooktop, the black wire to the black green wire on the cooktop and the white wire to the black wire on the cooktop.

Do you think this is wired correctly? What if I connect the black/red to red, black to black, and white to green? I'm just trying not to short circuit the whole thing. Thanks in advance for your help.
bna1dew is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2010, 11:59 AM   #2
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Hi and welcome.
Please do not do anything until you get some help, either from the guys here or an electrician as you very well could fry the whole thing. Sounds to me like you're only getting one leg of power (110v) hence the lower glow.
I'm moving this to Electrical section as well. You'll get help there faster.

DM
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2010, 12:07 PM   #3
Mad Scientist

Yep. Sounds like you wired it 120V instead of 240. Did you note how it was connected before? Do you have a wiring diagram, either on the cooktop itself or in the instructions? How about a make and model number so we might be able to look it up? For now, turn the breaker off and leave it alone, you may have created a dangerous situation.
McSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2010, 07:09 PM   #4
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by bna1dew View Post
I had to disconnect my cooktop, but after reconnecting it, the burners partially heat. They never get red hot anymore. From the house's electrical conduit I have a black wire-with red markings, a solid black wire, and a whitish color wire.

I connected the black-red marking wire to the red wire on the cooktop, the black wire to the black green wire on the cooktop and the white wire to the black wire on the cooktop.

Do you think this is wired correctly? What if I connect the black/red to red, black to black, and white to green? I'm just trying not to short circuit the whole thing. Thanks in advance for your help.
I will suggest that you stop useing this cooktop and get the connectons corrected due two thing .,, you are running 120 volt instead of 240 volts and do you really have full conduit or a SE cable or other type of cables this part will make the diffrence on codewise.

and give us the cooktop model numbers we can able verify the connectons.

Merci.
Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 01:20 AM   #5
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek

Rewards Points: 3,620

Quote:
Originally Posted by bna1dew View Post
Turn off the power right now. Those color schemes sound quite unusual to me (not standard US or EU colors), but any green marking usually means "ground" in most color schemes. That would mean that you have connected the metal case of the cooktop to one of the hot wires. Your description of its functional problems also support this. Touching the metal parts of the cooktop could result in a potentially fatal shock. Definitely turn off the power until you figure this out for sure.

The more usual wiring configuration would be black/red to red, black to black, and white to green. If there is a suitable metal conduit present from the service, then the green would be connected to it and white would be unused.
mpoulton is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement