Is It Easy To Install Honeywell Econoswitch? - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-10-2015, 08:52 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 221

Is it easy to install honeywell econoswitch?

I am interested in replacing my wall switch for my porch lights so I can program it to turn on/off at time I choose.

I am looking at this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-RPLS...l+econo+switch

I read that a neutral wire is required. I know very little about home electric wiring. So what does that mean? There needs to have 3 wires? Hot, cold and neutral?

So, I am just wondering if it is easy to install.

Any idea? Thanks.
homenewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2015, 09:01 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Rewards Points: 31,940

Quote:
I read that a neutral wire is required. I know very little about home electric wiring. So what does that mean?
It means if you open the switch box only find two wires, both attached to the switch, you can't install it. You must find two or more white wires connected together and not to the switch in the box.
joed is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2015, 09:14 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by joed View Post
It means if you open the switch box only find two wires, both attached to the switch, you can't install it. You must find two or more white wires connected together and not to the switch in the box.
Thanks.

2 white wires connected end to end to each other?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2015, 09:14 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 516

If you have a neutral, it's easy to install. I've never sold that model but I've sold dozens of the intermatic counter part (ST01 series). I've never gotten a call back on one so I highly recommend it.
Arrow3030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 09:22 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,428

If you find only two wires (not counting the ground(s)) then you have what is called a switch loop. This is a way of wiring a switch where power goes to the light fixture box, then a cable goes to a switch box which intercepts the power wire. Only one cable is used and so the white wire of the cable is used as a black (hot).

The other way to wire a switch is to have the power go to the switch, then out to the light. Neutral is connected directly and hot is connected via switch.

So, if you find two or more cables coming in then you probably will be able to install that timer.

The timer needs a neutral to power the device. Typical switches only switch the power so no neutral is needed for the switch (the light does) but this timer also has electronics that need to be powered, so it needs a neutral to be able to power the electronics.

The black is hot which carries the power in. The white is neutral which carries the power out. Hot is like positive of DC and neutral is like negative.
poiihy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 05:20 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 402

You also have to have a ground. Hot AC in, AC out, ground are the minimum 3 connections.
Habeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 08:32 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by poiihy View Post
If you find only two wires (not counting the ground(s)) then you have what is called a switch loop. This is a way of wiring a switch where power goes to the light fixture box, then a cable goes to a switch box which intercepts the power wire. Only one cable is used and so the white wire of the cable is used as a black (hot).

The other way to wire a switch is to have the power go to the switch, then out to the light. Neutral is connected directly and hot is connected via switch.

So, if you find two or more cables coming in then you probably will be able to install that timer.

The timer needs a neutral to power the device. Typical switches only switch the power so no neutral is needed for the switch (the light does) but this timer also has electronics that need to be powered, so it needs a neutral to be able to power the electronics.

The black is hot which carries the power in. The white is neutral which carries the power out. Hot is like positive of DC and neutral is like negative.
So, if the box in the wall does not have neutral wire, I won't even be able to use this honeywell econoswitch?

I've tried light-sensor controlled switch like this one:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Westek-Pr...C9BC/203675443

But, they don't work very well. Lights are on during bright daylight, and there is no way to adjust its sensitivity and had to return to home depot.

So, I am really hoping that I can install something like honeywell econoswitch.
Old 09-11-2015, 12:53 PM   #8
Super Moderator

Rewards Points: 31,940

The switch box has to have a neutral for this switch to work. If it doesn't then you have the option to rewire and add one. How difficult that would be depends on the building layout.
joed is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
honeywell econoswitch