Duplex Service Upgrade - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-29-2010, 01:12 PM   #1
Greg

Rewards Points: 10

Duplex service upgrade

I own a duplex and I plan to live in one side. The other side is rented and currently has a separate electric meter. On the unoccupied side the meter is removed and service drop is cut. I contacted the POCO and was told I need an inspection to restore service. I contacted the inspection service for our area and was told I can only have one service drop to the duplex and both meters will have to be on one side, with outside disconnects after each meter. I decided to put two new SE cables, meter boxes and 100Amp disconnects on the unoccupied side and run 4 wire feeders to the 100 amp panels serving each side. The two panels currently have a #6 bare ground wire connected to the copper water main before the water meter and #4 bare ground wire connected from the panels to separate supplemental grounding rods on opposite sides of the duplex. I attached a drawing of how I think it should be when completed, but would like some opinions of any errors or ideas, especially about the grounding wires.
Attached Thumbnails
Duplex service upgrade-new-services-duplex-2.jpg  

Last edited by Learn2Day; 11-30-2010 at 08:59 PM.
Learn2Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2010, 01:37 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Rewards Points: 23,976

I can't see the image very well. It is small. I think I see a suplimental ground electrode on the sub panel on the right. That would be wrong. The one electrode in the center is all you need.
joed is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joed For This Useful Post:
Learn2Day (11-29-2010)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2010, 04:31 PM   #3
Greg

Sorry about the pic size. Here is a link to the pic that maybe easier to see.
http://www2.snapfish.com/comcast/sli...587_150110587/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2010, 06:27 PM   #4
Super Moderator

Link is not any bigger picture.
Old 11-29-2010, 08:08 PM   #5
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

You will have to concat with your POCO for approved meter socket for dupex set up which it will have two meter socket in one box.

This part normally will be done by Electrician to deal with it due there are few codes to be involded.

Check with your inspector for any requirement when you change the meter socket set up.

The outside disconnection switch may required in your area or not depending on the distance from the meter socket and how far inside it have to run.
{ unless the local code required a outdoor disconnect switch } if that the case this will change your drawing a bit you will need SER cable { 4 conductor } and keep the ground and netural seprated.

Merci,
Marc

{ Side note the State of wisconsin do not allow duplex owners to change the meter socket at all ditto with French codes if single home it may allowed depending on the local codes }
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to frenchelectrican For This Useful Post:
Learn2Day (11-29-2010)
Old 11-29-2010, 09:42 PM   #6
Greg

Inspector and POCO Ok with seperate meter box setup and both disconnects do have to be outside. Plan on #2 Alum SER 4 conductor cable to both panels from 100 amp disconnects and Panels have seperate equipment ground bars with isolated neutrals. Net load is only 58 amps for each side. Also Joed already mentioned to remove the ground wire from the second ground rod.

Last edited by Learn2Day; 11-30-2010 at 10:20 AM.
Old 11-30-2010, 10:27 AM   #7
Greg

Feeder cable length

I just read another post about distance from the meter and got me to thinking. I have to run one SER 4 conductor Feeder cable about 40 to 50 feet from the disconnect to the far panel inside the basement. Is there a lenght limit for #2 Alum feeder in this situation? The load is 58 amps and the cable would be protected by the disconnect that has 100 amp main.
Old 11-30-2010, 12:49 PM   #8
Super Moderator

The limit is for unfused feeder cable inside the house. Your disconnect will be fused. You have no issues.
Old 11-30-2010, 09:33 PM   #9
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Learn2Day View Post
I just read another post about distance from the meter and got me to thinking. I have to run one SER 4 conductor Feeder cable about 40 to 50 feet from the disconnect to the far panel inside the basement. Is there a lenght limit for #2 Alum feeder in this situation? The load is 58 amps and the cable would be protected by the disconnect that has 100 amp main.
For unfused SER cable most local codes will say short as possible most case gerally under 2 meter { 6 feet } useally that is the limit for unfused service entrance conductor can go in the building otherwise you will need a fused or CB disconnect switch outside { once you have it outside the inside part is already become unlimited length }

{ there are few local codes which I am aware that some service upgrading you will need a outdoor disconnect no matter how short you are away from meter }

Merci.
Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement