Door Chime/transformer + Ring Video Doorbell 2 - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree2Likes

Old 07-10-2019, 02:13 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 20

Door chime/transformer + Ring Video Doorbell 2

Currently, my house has a wired door chime. It is a vintage NuTone K16, manufactured in the 50s that is wired to a low voltage transformer (5VA 10V). See attached picture.

I just bought a Video Doorbell 2 and I want to use it with my door chime. The Doorbell 2 requires a 8-24VAC transformer. So it appears that the current transformer is not powerful enough?

I found the following tri-volt transformer from my local Home Depot that can output: 8 VAC/10 VA, 16 VAC/10 VA or 24 VAC/20 VA.

I don't understand the difference between VA vs V vs VAC?

Will this transformer work with my existing chime AND the Doorbell 2?

How would I wire the chime and the doorbell 2 to this transformer?

Do I wire the chime to the 8V 10VA (BLUE) and the doorbell 2 to the 16V 10VA (GREEN) or both to the 24V 20VA (RED) connectors ?
Attached Thumbnails
Door chime/transformer + Ring Video Doorbell 2-transformer_old.jpg   Door chime/transformer + Ring Video Doorbell 2-hampton-bay-doorbell-transformers-hb-125-03-64_1000.jpg  
graffixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2019, 02:14 PM   #2

Re: Door chime/transformer + Ring Video Doorbell 2

Here's a link to the transformer from Home Depot

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Hampton-...5-03/304225255
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2019, 02:37 PM   #3
Master Electrician

Rewards Points: 5,440

I have a ring wired to an existing mechanical door chime through a 16 volt transformer. The ring does not charge as it is supposed to and the mechanical chime does not activate. After several sessions with tech support it was determined that my chime is not compatible with the ring. I purchased a new chime from the list of compatible chimes but the result was the same. The ring does register on my iPad and iPhone. Your old xfrmr is of sufficient voltage according to what ring states. However I would expect an old chime may not be compatible. If you use the new xfrmr you should use the voltage configuration that your chime requires, not a higher voltage.

The new XFMR: using the two outside terminals provides 24 volts, using the left and center terminals provides 8 volts, using the center and right terminals provides 16 volts.

Last edited by brric; 07-10-2019 at 02:44 PM.
brric is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2019, 03:32 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by brric View Post
Your old xfrmr is of sufficient voltage according to what ring states.]
Oh I thought my current xfrmr is NOT sufficient, as it only outputs at 10V, and the Doorbell 2 requires 8-24VAC.

BTW, is 10V = 10VAC? Again, I don't quite grasp the differences betw V and VA and VAC.

Quote:
If you use the new xfrmr you should use the voltage configuration that your chime requires, not a higher voltage.
My ancient chime does not state how much voltage it needs. All I know is that it's currently connects to the 5VA 10V xfrmr.

Quote:
The new XFMR: using the two outside terminals provides 24 volts, using the left and center terminals provides 8 volts, using the center and right terminals provides 16 volts.
Yeah, that part I understand. I was asking how to connect both the chime and the Doorbell 2 to this new xfrmr. Do I:

A. Connect the chime to the left and center terminals, then
B. Connect the Doorbell 2 to the center and right terminals, OR
C. Connect BOTH the chime and the Doorbell 2 to the two outside (left and right) terminals?
Old 07-10-2019, 03:41 PM   #5
Super Moderator

Rewards Points: 152

10v is between 8 and 24 volts so your old transformer will work fine.

5VA is equivalent to 5 watts.

I would hook it up with what you have per the manual. It should work from I what I read.
In Ontario likes this.
joed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 04:06 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by joed View Post
10v is between 8 and 24 volts so your old transformer will work fine.

5VA is equivalent to 5 watts.

I would hook it up with what you have per the manual. It should work from I what I read.
Thanks, joed. Can you please elaborate a bit on the wiring? I'm new and do not want to blow things up
Attached is the steps from the manual, but I'm unsure how to wire both the chime and the Doorbell 2. Appreciate the help.
Attached Thumbnails
Door chime/transformer + Ring Video Doorbell 2-hampton-bay-doorbell-transformers_wiring.jpg  
Old 07-10-2019, 04:41 PM   #7
Super Moderator

Rewards Points: 152

Which model do yo have 122 or 125?
Those are the connections at the transformer. You should not need to change them. Your existing button will have wires on it. Remove them and connect to your ring system.
joed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 05:03 PM   #8

Sorry joed, I should have clarified!

I will try the existing xfrmr when I get home tonight, connect the wires from the button to the Doorbell 2.

In the event it does not work, as I anticipate the current xfrmr 5VA 10V isn't "strong" enough, which I will then use the model 125 (trivolt) for both the chime and the Doorbell 2. How do I wire the new xfrmr?
Old 07-10-2019, 06:22 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 88

To answer your question about "difference between VA vs V vs VAC?"

VA - Volt Amps, which is essentially the power in Watts.

V - Volts

VAC - Volts AC, or Volts Alternating Current
In Ontario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 08:17 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 680

Quote:
Originally Posted by graffixx View Post
Sorry joed, I should have clarified!

I will try the existing xfrmr when I get home tonight, connect the wires from the button to the Doorbell 2.

In the event it does not work, as I anticipate the current xfrmr 5VA 10V isn't "strong" enough, which I will then use the model 125 (trivolt) for both the chime and the Doorbell 2. How do I wire the new xfrmr?

You connect the red and white wires currently on your old transformer, to the 2 terminals on the new transformer that represent the voltage you want. Those 2 wires form a "loop" between the transformer, the doorbell button, and the chime, then back to the transformer. You cannot have a different voltage on the button and the chime.
LawnGuyLandSparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 05:37 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 3,058

Quote:
Originally Posted by graffixx View Post

I don't understand the difference between VA vs V vs VAC?
My commiserations and apologies to anyone who has answered the question prior to this.

V is the symbol for "Volts" - which may be equated to "Electrical Pressure".

Now, A is the symbol for "Amperes" (Amps), which is the current "flow", caused by the electrical pressure - in Volts.

If there is a Resistance of 1 Ohm (1 Ω) to the flow of electrical current, a voltage of 1 V (DC) accross 1 Ω will produce a current of 1 A.

However, while the SI symbols for Voltage, Current and Power (Watts) are
V, A and W (respectively), the above is summarized (not as A = V/R), but as

I= E/R

Where
E = Electrical pressure (Volts)
I = Current (which comes from the French phrase "Iintensité du courant", [current intensity] - sorry about that!)
and
R = Resistance (in Ohms)

and
VA = Volts * Amps

Volts * Amps = Watts, for DC or if the current in the "load" is "in phase" with the AC Voltage.
However, if the the Current (I) is NOT in phase with the Voltage (E), there will be a "form factor" differential of less than one which will mean that the Watts involved are less than that which would be calculated by E * I (or V * A)

Of course, the symbols for "Volts AC" should be written as V AC.

The spaces and capitalisation involved - or lack of it - are most important when writing SI symbols.

Last edited by FrodoOne; 07-11-2019 at 05:44 AM.
FrodoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 10:12 AM   #12

To answer your question, I would use the 16v side of the xfer for your setup.

Do you have one or two doorbell buttons? Also, do you have one for two chimes? This matters as well.

Also, just a side note, the chime, if digital, has to have a diode in the ring 2 doorbell camera installed. If the chime is mechanical (goes ding-dong), you don't need the diode.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
bknewton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 08:30 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bknewton View Post
To answer your question, I would use the 16v side of the xfer for your setup.

Do you have one or two doorbell buttons? Also, do you have one for two chimes? This matters as well.

Also, just a side note, the chime, if digital, has to have a diode in the ring 2 doorbell camera installed. If the chime is mechanical (goes ding-dong), you don't need the diode.

I have one mechanical chime, with one doorbell button in the front.

I took a multimeter and measured the wires at the doorbell, and it read about 11.8V. This is within the 5VA 10V spec from the current xfrmr.

When I connect the Video Doorbell 2 to it, the chime works BUT the sound isn't as loud like it used to when connected to a 1-button doorbell; the LIVE video is choppy and grainy. The device is about 20 feet from my Wifi router, so I dont think it's a problem with the network connectivity. It's likely that the xfrmr isn't "strong" enough.

If I go with 16VAC 10VA, or 24VAC 20VA, or 16VAC 30VA xfrmer, will I risk burning out my antique chime because it's too strong?
Old 07-11-2019, 08:55 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 58

Do not exceed voltage of the old chime. The VA is where you can increase to compensate for the increased load. As to the old chime, I suspect that it was a replacement of an older bell which was 10 volts. Most chimes are 16 volts.
Wiredindallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 09:33 PM   #15

The 16vac should be fine for both the chime and ring doorbell.

bknewton is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement