Doing My Own Rough-in Electrical. - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-27-2010, 03:57 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Doing my own rough-in electrical.

I plan on doing my own rough-in electrical for a house were renovating. Were gutting it so Ill have all-access to the studs.
Ive started reading up. Am I getting the general idea correct that a run can be say several outlets, pig-tailed together that is then pigtailed to the main NM cable that goes to the breaker?
Im trying to get my ahead around the general meaning of a circuit.
Thanks.
skellies is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2010, 04:12 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

NM cable is run to every device in the home...There is no "main" run of NM. Some of the NM is 12/2, some is 14/2, some is 12/3, some is 14/3, some is 10/3 and so on.

If you're doing this in-depth project yourself you need to gain a really solid understanding of how it works. A loose understanding will not get you very far and will result in failure of inspections and in the worst case a fire. I hope you have the work inspected. You owe it to yourself and the next owners of the home.

There is a massive amount of electrical code knowledge and electrical methodology knowledge to do a complete electrical rough-in. Massive. Proper phasing of multiwire branch circuits for example...Do that wrong and you stand a great chance of burning up a wire (and your home).

A decent book I know of is called "wiring simplified". It'll get you started pretty well, and is available at most Home Depots.

Since we're a DIY site we try not to discourage people from doing DIY work. But if you lack a basic knowledge of circuits, methods and electrical code minimum standards I'd tend to discourage you from attempting this as your first DIY electrical project.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2010, 04:20 PM   #3
Learning by Doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekctermite View Post

A decent book I know of is called "wiring simplified". It'll get you started pretty well, and is available at most Home Depots.
I'll second the recommendation for "wiring simplified' (I happen to be sitting next to my copy even as I type). I also like "Electrical Wiring Residential" by Mullin.
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2010, 05:44 PM   #4

Where are you located ?
Have you checked with your building Dept 1st to verify you can do the wiring ?
Some states/areas do not allow the homeowner to do the work, other requires an electrical test be taken 1st to show you know what you are doing

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement