Do I Need Armored 14/2? - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-17-2010, 09:38 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Do I need Armored 14/2?

I have 2 exterior lights at the front door of my house - that are connected with Aluminum wiring. after pulling back the insulation (re-insulating the room), I found the 'sleeves' of the wiring to be chewed off (most likely mice).

I was therefore planning on replacing the wiring with copper 14/2 romex. before I call for my rough in inspection, I wasn't sure if I need to run armored 14/2 or would the plastic do.

exterior wall, wire goes through plywood, then into an electrical box that's been masoned into the exterior brickwork.

Thanks in advance!

here's some pictures of the current state to better explain ...
Attached Thumbnails
Do I need Armored 14/2?-p1060054-w768.jpg   Do I need Armored 14/2?-p1060055-w768.jpg   Do I need Armored 14/2?-p1060056-w768.jpg  
njchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2010, 09:50 AM   #2
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 3,662

I see no reason for you to need to use armored cable in place of non-metallic cables. The cable will be protected from damaged once the drywall is reinstalled.

I would work on controlling your mouse population.
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2010, 11:37 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

Where are you located ?

The only place I know that requires armored is around Chicago area
Check for local codes

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2010, 12:31 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Port View Post
I see no reason for you to need to use armored cable in place of non-metallic cables. The cable will be protected from damaged once the drywall is reinstalled.

I would work on controlling your mouse population.
thanks! ... I'm working on the mice thing - we haven't seen any over the last year - we have 3 dogs, and i'm contributing the efforts to them (no cats - allergic).

thanks for the info on the armored cable - I sent a message to the ESA (electrical safety authority - here in Canada) - hope to hear back from them shortly.

[edit]
WHOAH! ... on the ESA website you can submit questions about wiring - it says 3-5 business days to respond ... after I posted my question I got an email back from them ...

Recently we have experienced a very high volume of questions asked and we are currently running a backlog of approximately 6 weeks in answering. We are endeavouring to clear the backlog as quickly as possible and we thank you for your patience in this matter.
njchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement