DIY Installing Floodlights - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-21-2010, 08:20 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

DIY installing floodlights

Hi All,

We just purchased a home and the deck does not have any lights, it does however have the electrical connections(exposed) and a switch in the kitchen. I'm guessing the PO had a light back there and either took it or it was damaged and never replaced.

Yesterday I bought some flood lights at home depot and a round junction box that goes with it in hopes of having someone install it but I really want to do this myself as I'm sure I can.

I've been reading online to get an idea of what I need, the thing is the little box that houses the cables outside is small and rectangular similar to the shape of a standard light switch box so i cannot put the round junction box in.

My questions:
1. Do they sell flood lights that i can just wire and screw into that existing box, that would be a piece of cake.

2. Can I accommodate the round box for the new floodlight over the rectangular one?

3. Right now i have two wires coming out of that box, most pics i've seen online for the floodlights have 4 wires, do i have the wrong lights?

I wanted to add, I am new to this and i want to learn as much as possible, my terminology is lacking as you can see. I can take pictures of what I am working with if that helps.

Also wanted to add, i won't do this without making sure I am safe. I'm usually very handy and can do most things myself around the house/car/motorcycle with proper instructions. If this job is to much of a hazard don't hesitate to tell me

Woah, long post.. Thanks!
jmejiaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2010, 08:25 AM   #2
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 3,660

You should be able to buy a different WP cover that will accept the floodlight bulb holders.

The four wires in the diagrams might have been 2 power in and 2 power out wires. It sounds like yours is an end of the run and power does not continue past this point. It should not be an issue.

Last edited by Jim Port; 07-21-2010 at 08:27 AM.
Jim Port is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2010, 08:33 AM   #3
Electrician

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
My questions:
1. Do they sell flood lights that i can just wire and screw into that existing box, that would be a piece of cake.
Unfortunately, NO. I come to this situation a lot when replacing older outdoor flood lights. The old ones used single gang boxes (rectangular) while the new ones use round boxes.

As mentioned above, you can replace the cover. But I find it easier and better looking to just replace the box with a new round box.

You don't want to go over the existing box, you want to remove it and replace it with a new box.
Proby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2010, 08:39 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Port View Post
You should be able to buy a round box instead of the one you have.

The four wires in the diagrams might have been 2 power in and 2 power out wires. It sounds like yours is an end of the run and power does not continue past this point. It should not be an issue.
Thanks, I did buy the round box at home depot yesterday.

My issue would be installing the round box, how do I "insert" it into the wall...Most tutorials I have seen online just screw it into the wall but I already have the rectangular box "in" the wall if that makes sense.

I'm sure this is easy as well with the right tools... My concern is making the hole I guess.

Also, what do I need to make sure this is waterproof?

About the wires, I have 2 end wires, but I think the floodlights have 4 which I am assuming are 2 in for each light?
Old 07-21-2010, 08:43 AM   #5
Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmejiaa View Post
Thanks, I did buy the round box at home depot yesterday.

My issue would be installing the round box, how do I "insert" it into the wall...Most tutorials I have seen online just screw it into the wall but I already have the rectangular box "in" the wall if that makes sense.
If the box is flush mounted like you say, it's easier to just take the round box back to the store and get a single gang cover as Jim explained. A picture is attached below.

When the box is surface mounted to the building, it's easier to just replace it IMO, especially when using a motion sensing light. In your situation, just use the different cover.
Quote:
About the wires, I have 2 end wires, but I think the floodlights have 4 which I am assuming are 2 in for each light?
Splice all the blacks together and then splice all the whites together.
Attached Images

Last edited by Proby; 07-21-2010 at 08:45 AM.
Old 07-21-2010, 08:46 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proby View Post
If the box is flush mounted like you say, it's easier to just take the round box back to the store and get a single gang cover as Jim explained. A picture is attached below.

Splice all the blacks together and then splice all the whites together.
You guys are quick!

I'm a little confused, I thought they didn't make the smaller flood light cover(single gang) and that's why I need the round.

it sounds like you are saying I can install the flood lights with what I have...

let me see if my bro can send me a pic, I am at work...
Old 07-21-2010, 08:49 AM   #7
Electrician

Quote:
You guys are quick!

I'm a little confused, I thought they didn't make the smaller flood light cover(single gang) and that's why I need the round.
The cover is available, I edited my post so you could see what it looks like.

It's hard to find a light with the rectangular cover already installed, all I can find are lights with round covers.

So all you have to do is take the round cover off your light and replace it with the rectangular cover, then put it on the rectangular box installed in your house.
Old 07-21-2010, 08:56 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proby View Post
The cover is available, I edited my post so you could see what it looks like.

It's hard to find a light with the rectangular cover already installed, all I can find are lights with round covers.

So all you have to do is take the round cover off your light and replace it with the rectangular cover, then put it on the rectangular box installed in your house.
Awesome.. So I just need to find that cover, which I might not be able to find at the home depot since the guy yesterday told me what I needed could not be done...

Sounds like I need the cover and something like this;
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053

The kit i bought was this, which I doubt I can make work without the round cover..What do you think, looks like I'll need to return it.

Edit:
Found it for sale here.. I might just order here...
http://electrical.hardwarestore.com/...er-287151.aspx

Thanks for the help, can't wait to get this done...

Last edited by jmejiaa; 07-21-2010 at 09:00 AM.
Old 07-21-2010, 09:05 AM   #9
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 3,660

The cover shown by Proby should be readily available in the aisle with the rest of the WP boxes and covers.
Old 07-21-2010, 09:08 AM   #10
Electrician

Quote:
Awesome.. So I just need to find that cover, which I might not be able to find at the home depot since the guy yesterday told me what I needed could not be done...

Sounds like I need the cover and something like this;

The kit i bought was this, which I doubt I can make work without the round cover..What do you think, looks like I'll need to return it.

Edit:
Found it for sale here.. I might just order here...
http://electrical.hardwarestore.com/...er-287151.aspx

Thanks for the help, can't wait to get this done...
You're on the right track. Any store should have the cover you need, but you can just order it online too if you're willing to wait.

The light you purchased should work with that single gang cover. If it doesn't, then you can use the other light that you linked to.
Old 07-22-2010, 08:11 AM   #11

I went to HD and returned everything. got the cover and two separate light fixtures for the cover + 2 outdoor flood light bulbs. It looks pretty straight forward but it rained all day yesterday
Old 07-28-2010, 08:59 AM   #12

I still haven't done this! Damn lazyness!!!

Anyway, two questions, the home has fuses instead of circuit breaker switches, can I remove all fuses and make sure there is no power to the two cables I'm touching?

Also, the box is positioned in such a way that when I install the cover it will not sit completely flush with the house siding in the bottom... What can i do to waterproof the bottom portion of it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement