Disconnect Grounding - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-11-2018, 09:13 AM   #1

Disconnect Grounding

I have been looking at other replies on this forum and decided to post a question for myself. I have an electrical project coming up and was looking from some advice. I have attached the electrical diagram. Few things to note. The main panel is located inside the garage. The disconnect, pass through panel, and gate panel will all be outside, and the Workshop panel will be located inside the workshop.

The distance between the pass through panel and the gate is about 550’. And the distance between the pass through panel and the workshop panel is about 200’

Disconnect is in place for future solar install.

On to my questions.

1. Does the disconnect need to be grounded separately? I realize there should only ever be one neutral-ground bond at the main panel.

2. Is there a distance requirement between the disconnect and the pass through panel? Does it need to be close, on the same wall, ect?

3. Any labeling requirements needed for the disconnect? It will be placed next to the meter on the outside.
Attached Thumbnails
Disconnect Grounding-img_20181211_100746_1544540889424.jpg  
Workshop_Fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2018, 10:39 AM   #2
Master Electrician

Rewards Points: 4,882

Re: Disconnect Grounding

The grounding electrode system is connected to the meter/main panel.Neutral bonded at the meter/main. Four wire feeder to the sub-panel, separate grounds and neutrals. Four wire feeder to the other two sub-panels, separate grounds and neutrals and ground rods at each panel.
brric is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2018, 05:33 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by brric View Post
The grounding electrode system is connected to the meter/main panel.Neutral bonded at the meter/main. Four wire feeder to the sub-panel, separate grounds and neutrals. Four wire feeder to the other two sub-panels, separate grounds and neutrals and ground rods at each panel.
How about the disconnect? Does it also need a ground?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2018, 05:45 PM   #4
Master Electrician

Rewards Points: 4,882

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workshop_Fl View Post
No, the four wire feeder has the grounding conductor. Why is there a disconnect? The breaker in the meter/ main serves as the disconnect.

Last edited by brric; 12-11-2018 at 05:48 PM.
brric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 06:26 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by brric View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workshop_Fl View Post
No, the four wire feeder has the grounding conductor. Why is there a disconnect? The breaker in the meter/ main serves as the disconnect.

Future solar Out on the workshop.. thought you need a positive disconnect outside. In case of fire, etc. Main breaker would not stop solar from feeding the panel. Of course I could be very wrong about the entire thing. First time doing anything this large.
Old 12-14-2018, 08:18 PM   #6

Any other opinions?
Old 12-15-2018, 11:09 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 843

Normally there is a GEC (grounding electrode conductor) from the neutral/ground bond in the main panel to a grounding electrode. Your drawing does not show this.

What is the distance between the main panel and the pass through panel? The GEC should originate in the main panel not the pass through panel and terminate at the grounding electrode (ie ground rods).
DanS26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement